1500 Clutch issues

carlt5

Hi All,
I have a trials special which has a Triumph 1500 clutch with the raised ring on the flywheel
I got the car in bits and have rebuilt it with a new clutch cover [it uses a ford 100e friction plate]
The pedal pressure is massive and the clutch releases with an audible 'pop' , its like a switch !!
I don't know what has been modified so I'm batting in the dark really
I'm looking for some help in unraveling this problem

Does anyone know what the depth of the stepped ring should be on a std 1500 flywheel ?
What is the thickness of a std 1500 friction plate ?

Cheers
Carl

It's called a pot clutch and is unique (amongst Triumphs) to the Dolly & Spitfire 1500s.

Did the clutch work ok before the rebuild?  Have you changed anything else?  While the friction plate thickness does matter, my experiences suggest that the incorrect thickness won't give the symptoms you describe.

Too thin and it'll behave as a well worn clutch.  Too thick and it won't disengage as there is not enough throw in the system unless you modify the release system by either larger bore master/smaller bore slave or alter the fulcrum points of the mechanical parts.

Sounds a bit like the gearbox and engine might not be properly in line.  What kind of gearbox do you have and is there an adapter plate of some kind involved?

Nick

Hi
I never had it as a complete working car.

The gearbox and clutch mechanism is Ford and its mechanically operated and all lines up and fitted perfectly.

my question regarding the depth of the cover plate mounting ring is that I suspect the clutch has too much preload when initially fitted and the 'fingers' of the release plate are going over centre when operating , i.e. the plate isn't being released until they go over centre and 'pop'

The release plate is a dished sprung steel plate , so if it goes over centre it will 'pop' / spring over from concave to convex

cheers
Carl

The recess being too shallow would be the same as as the friction plate being too thick.  They do go over centre in normal operation - you can normally feel it it through the pedal about half way through the pedal travel when everything is working right.  On a worn out clutch it never quite gets to the over centre part which tends to make it feel heavier.

When you bolt up a clutch with a new friction plate you will see the fingers go from convex (in it's relaxed state) to more or less flat as you tighten down the bolts.  On a worn clutch they will be convex and not change very much as the bolts are released.

I don't have a 1500 flywheel on hand to measure I'm afraid.

Nick

Thanks
I suspect the pressure plate is faulty [it is a new reconditioned unit that came with the car]
I wanted to check all other parameters before investing in a new clutch kit [half of which won't be used]

If anyone has a flywheel and a measuring stick would be great

cheers
carl

Anyone got a new 1500 friction plate to measure the thickness

Thank you for your input , very useful
I now have an old flywheel and the depth of the mounting ring is 3mm less on the Triumph than on my modified one

What I need to check before machining 3mm off is if the new friction plate I have [Ford] is the same as the std Triumph one

Cheers
Carl