Buster

Is it possible to take out the engine to get to the clutch ,as its looks as though it would be easier than taking out the gearbox from inside, just not sure if there is enough room to move the engine forward far enough before the sump hits the crossmember.

Can't help you so much as I've always taken box and engine out as one unit. Although I would guess that you can raise the engine and box enough to clear the crossmember with the engine and disengage the splines on the input shaft...

Are you trying to avoid removing the tunnel? If not and you're first taking the engine out, leave the box attached and take it off on the floor to change the clutch, that'll be easiest.

No reason why i can't get the gearbox out, there is no interior in the car & tunnel is allready out, I'm just trying to save myself physically lifting the gearbox, thinking it would be easier to just lift the engine from gantry & hoist

Believe me, whenever I have to do a clutch its the engine that comes out. Apart from all he hassle of taking out the interior, 1500 O/D 'boxes are just too heavy to handle safely if you are working alone.
With a decent hoist you can have the engine out in an hour, much better better than struggling with that 3 ton 'box.

davesideways wrote:
You guys must a bunch of wimps :) no offence :)

Type 9 is a nice heavy box.

T9 is lighter than than 1500 single rail with OD........ must be the heaviest of the lot that one.  Toyota W series is lighter than the T9 due to all alloy case I suppose.

I have always removed the gearbox from inside the car unless removing both together.  Sure, it's heavy - but not as heavy as the engine!

Nick

Archived