Clutch sizes and  types

Jimmmy0_0

Ok the new clutch arrived to day along with parts to finish the engine install, but all came to a stop when I noticed that the new clutch is bigger than the old one, plus the spline shape is different. The engine I was told is a 1500 with the serial number FM40276HE. The o/d gearbox I want to fit has the fine type splines as in the new clutch, (for a 1500) pictured. The old gearbox had the course style splines.

As you can see in the pictures the bolt holes for the new clutch are very different from the old ones + the splines are also very different. (as pictured).

My questions are (wait for it)

1.     Is the engine really a 1500 with serial no FM40276HE

2.     How do I sort out the clutch sizes and spline shapes to fit the engine and o/d box together

3.     Is it possible that someone fitted a 1300 flywheel to a 1500 engine (sorry if this is a stupid question as I am not sure if its possible)

I have also added a picture of the car in the paint shop just after it was baked 8)

fm is 1500. The proper 1500 clutch has the fine splines and a diameter of 7 1/4". The 1300 variants had 6 1/2", GT6/vitesse/dolly 1850+sprint, TR7 all 8 1/2".
What diamet is the old plate? would guess it is 6 1/2" and somebody has fitted a 1300 flywheel to the engine. You could therefore either get a late dolomite 1300 clutch (6 1/2", fine spline) to fit to the current flywheel, or get a spit/dolly 1500 flywheel and get it all as it should be, probably the wise choice.
Nice paintjob BTW

Clive

i have the same issues, am putting a 1500 engine on 1300 gearbox, am going with some advice on here and using my 1300 flywheel and clutch, - you do have to drill out the flywheel crank bolt holes though. Am hoping the little clutch can handle the extra power.. we shall see..

Thanks all for the advice I have a new flywheel on the way it should arrive tomorrow.

nige the flywheel I have is a 1300 and is already drilled and is in great condition. Its yours if you want it. send me a pm for my contact info

Jimmy956 wrote:
I also have the small clutch with the coarse splines on my 1500! Discovered this when ordering my new one. is this a common thing for people to change or were some maybe manufacturered like this!?

Often happens with engine swaps. Or if fitting an overdrive or whatever. Not a problem, except you end up ordering the wrong parts!

Archived