Clutch not dis engaging

tricky4a

Hello All,

Last November a new car arrived and Spit was left out in the cold over winter ready to sell in the summer. Tried to start it the other week in prepeartion now the good weather is here, fired up OK but scary as the car moved regardless of clutch position!

So just bled the entire system, put new "brake fluid" in it! I know but it is essentially the same stuff. Problem I have now is that it still will not dis engage, I have looked all over but not found any leaks.

The clevis has been replaced, the pin is not worn, the slave cylinder seals show no signs of leaks, so over to you guys, any suggestions, please

Are you saying the clutch is stuck on?

If so, its stuck to the flywheel, common problem when car is left unused for long periods.

Assuming I've understood your problem correctly, with the engine off, put into first or reverse gear. Switch on ingnition to turn over the engine and hopefully that will release the clutch.

Remember, the car will move doing this until the clutch frees so be careful.

Hi Tricky, looks like the plate and the cover have stuck together

you need to try and give it a good bang some how

try starting it in gear, like ..clicking it over a few times

on me dads car, it would not work, so the drain hole in the bell housing,  was made a little bigger, and then a drift was put thru, and could then jar the clutch cover,

took aboot 6 good hard bags at different spots but it got it in the end

rgards Marcus

429 wrote:

Assuming I've understood your problem correctly, with the engine off, put into first or reverse gear. Switch on ingnition to turn over the engine and hopefully that will release the clutch.

But remember to have foot firmly down on the clutch pedal! and a good idea to let the car idle in neutrral to get good and hot beforehand. Heat will help it release.

Alternative "non-invasive" ideas include jacking back end up (very well) and starting in gear, 3rd ideal. Then with clutch pedap down keep blipping the throttle. Never failed me yet. Careful with the jacking though ;) ??)

You could start the car and get everthing nice and warm, then wedge the clutch pedal down over night.

Or start the car and get everthing nice and warm, then stop it put in gear and go for a drive with your foot on the clutch. Wait for the bang as it frees

There are loads of ways to free a clutch with out taking the engine out, It just depends which one works!

Success!

Your comments above all helped point me in the right direction. Thankfully my drive is quite long and has a slope! Rolled it backwards to the bottom of the drive, put in gear and start the engine car moves forwards, get to top of drive with clutch fully in, repeat a few times and whey hey, one released clutch. Made a hell of a bang when it did though.

Many thanks to you all.

Archived