Clutch ing at straws

redsunbeam

Help needed to sort clutch problem. Clutch pedal goes to the floor and then if you curl your toes the clutch disengages. As you uncurl your toes the clutch bites. Have removed the gearbox tunnel and you can see the release arm move as you start to push down the pedal. I would have put it down to hydraulics, but there has been no fluid loss and there is plenty of pressure there. Any one got any ideas before i remove the gearbox?????

You don't say what car you have - I am assuming Herald.  I can think of 4 possibilities:

- air in the system - try bleeding it.  Make sure the bleed nipple is in the top hole on the slave cylinder!

- Check the joint between master cylinder and pedal arm (under the rubber gaiter on the bulkhead).  The pedal arm, pushrod clevis and clevis pin can all wear badly giving lots of lost motion.  Repair or renew as needed!

- Release arm pivot pin falling (or fallen) out.  Replace it with a long bolt that cannot fall though.  Make sure the unthreaded portion of the bolt is long enough to pass through the arm and the bushes in the housing so it doesn't chew them up.

- The nasty one.  Are your crankshaft thrust washers still in place?  Check by grabbing the front pulley and pushing it into and then pulling out of the engine.  If it moves more that 1mm or so you have a problem.....

Hope this is helpful

Nick

13/60s are famous for spinning out the thrust washers,  :'( also release arm pins are prone to dropping out without warning while you're driving along  :-/. It is worth checking that there is no air in the system as previously advised but while doing this you need to note whether or not there is a good amount of fluid being pumped out as it is possible for the return spring in the master cyl to break  :-/. This gives a light-ish pedal though and you may well notice that. If none of these seem to be the case then you are going to have to remove the box and have a look,  ??) if you do pay particular attention to the clutch cover. If the fingers are worn this will also give the same symptoms - Good Luck, let us know how you get on, I may be of further help once you have more info.  ;)

Had a quick play last night, bled the system- no air in it but fluid does look a bit dark and shiney so will strip the master cylinder before i go too far with removing the box. Master cylinder clevis pin was also badly worn and will be replaced. Have saved checking the end float till after christmas. Thanks for the advice so far....
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Archived