Scott

Hi,

I recently took my '71 Mk2 Vitesse Saloon up to the lakes the other week (I got married but that's another story!) however I noticed I was losing power on the motorway, loads of revs but no power.  Then as soon as I got off the motorway I found my "power" come back.  I think the clutch is slipping, but being a newbie (even though I've owned 'Tess' for over three years ) I'm not sure if I need to replace the entire clutch? Anyone out there with any advice?  Is it an easy job to replace the clutch or only something a trained mechanic should do?

Also, I posted here back in Feb looking for a bonnet before I got the car resprayed.  In the end I decided not to bother an used my existing bonnet.  I went with Spraycraft of Widnes and for around £1500 they did an amazing job. Midnight blue with the cream go faster stripes!  If I get chance I'll post a pic on here.

Regards

Scott

'71 Vitesse Saloon Midnight blue + cream stripe :D

Simply due to the labor involved, it usually makes sense to replace driven disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing while the gearbox is out. Also, "matched" components likely will function better, and some driven discs might not be compatible with your pressure plate (thinking back to the days when Laycock bits weren't compatible with Borg & Beck bits, etc.).

"Easy" is a relative term, but it is not difficult for anyone with decent mechanical skills.

Thanks for the replies.  I don't think it is the overdrive, although how would I be able to tell?  Triumph drivers I have mentioned this to have identified the clutch as slipping and needs replacing.  

I would love to have a go at it myself, but am worried that I could easily balls it up.  :'( I suppose there's a fine line in wanting a good job done and learning more about restoring /repairing your own car.

Scott
:D

Hi Scott,
Overdrive works as an additional gear, operated electrically. If you have overdrive there will be an additional switch on the right side of the steering column, behind the indicator switch. Alternatively, fitting a later type overdrive might have the switch on top of the gearknob.
If the clutch is slipping you will find the engine revs rise, without changing road speed. The feeling is quite different to a simple lack of power - the engine feels like it's doing it's job, but the car doesn't go any faster!
Changing the clutch isn't difficult, but it's always best to have someone experienced to help and advise when doing this for the first time.
Cheers,
Bill.

You can confirm if the clutch is slipping: find a steep hill and drive up it giving it plenty of revs: you'll find that the revs will increase with no increase in road speed. If it's really bad you can also provoke slip by having the car firmly braked, rev the motor,let the clutch out and the car won't move OR stall......

One way of showing that the overdrive clutch is worn out is to examine the filter on it.  This is fairly easy to do with the 'box in the car - see your manual.  If the filter is full of 'black hairy bits', it's new O/d clutch time.

John

Archived