smugfop

Has anyone ever tried to recondition a mk2 power steering rack? mines gone slack on the offside and needs attention, the car is worth less than the cost of a new/reconditioned one as its not a show car or anything like that, so i'm looking at a bit of DIY.
i did find a good page about rebuilding them as its the same as the stag type, i think http://www.triumphstag.net/start/technical/suspensionsteering/steering.htm
Any handy hints or things to watch out for?

The technical pages in the link to the Stag website you included appears to be lifted straight from the factory workshop manual; teh Stag rack is essentially the same as the 2000/2.5 unit (but possibly not interchangeable due to different valving etc).

When you say yours has gone "slack at the offside", does this mean the inner ball joint connecting the tie-rod to the rack is slack or is the rack itself slack in the housing?

If it's the former, you can adjust the ball joint by adding/removing shims (if you have any spares lying around...)

If it's the later, you might get away with shimming the pad in the rack housing opposite the pinion.  Both jobs can be done without removing the rack from the car if you don't mind skinning your knuckles.

The Haynes manual i have basically say "don't touch......get your filthy mits off!!!"
I have tried shimming the adjuster where the spring set up is to no avail other than making the steering very heavy, so i have started to remove the rack from the car which has proved difficult due to my lack of ball joint splitter and tools in general, i have just got that one awkward pipe on the bottem of the pump to remove.
I'm going to remove it as i could see no way of shimming the inner joint and i need to replace the oil seal as its leaking a bit, so i may as well go for a total cleanup and fit new boot and everything.
Thanks for the advice and letting me know there is hope.  ;)

You might already know this but, just in case...

Make sure the rack is properly centred when you reconnect the steering column, and, if you are going to use a tyre fitter place to set the track, make sure they adjust both tie-rods.  Most of them are too lazy to do it properly, and reset the steering wheel on its splines to centralise it later.

This puts the rack off-centre and screws up the handling: the steering will just feel wrong.  The indicators might not cancel properly either...

Good luck

hi smugfop, if i recall, you're a pomme touring this green land of nz and currently resident in auckland?  i have a ball joint splitter i'd be happy to lend you.  i have to say that i've never dived into a steering rack myself and wouldn't necessarily know what to do if i did.  i've actually just had my rack done at collett & fleming (same thing, loose inside rack on near side) and you just wouldn't believe how superb the steering now is.  i've never driven a trump with such steering accuracy but then again you could purchase a half way decent saloon for the price, to be fair .  having just done the targa rally i wanted steering that would change direction with pin point accuracy and it certainly now does that, so i'm happy, but you do pay for what you get unfortunately.  if you want that tool, call me on 336 0855 during the day or 534 3219 at night.  cheers, phil.

Hey Philip, your 100% correct i'm that pome on tour, although i have settled in Auckland and landed myself a prime job and am now going through the residency thing with immigration.
Thanks for the offer of the loan for the splitter but i used my magic technique of jacking the car up and getting a seperate jack and pushing the ball joint up whilst hitting the arm with a hammer, its not pretty but gets results.
I've been messing with the rack and think i may have the solution and am refitting tommorow, my needs are much less than yours, i just need to get round corners in one piece and if it goes through the WOF i'm happy.
I have noticed that trumps have increased 2 fold in price3 in the last couple of months, has word that i have one finally got out?
Of course 2 days ago i was fitting seat covers and the lower door hinge bracket has snapped and i think my alternator may have given up the ghost.......it doesn't rain unless it pours.

good on ya.  nothing like a bit of heath robinson type ingenuity.  don't worry about pretty, it's how it ends up that matters!  if you need the odd part, very reasonably priced, one of my mates in the triumph club has a right huge selection of triumphs and can come up with most bits and pieces you might want, tho it's not his job (he's a plumber) so you might sometimes have to wait a day or two.  give me a call if you want his name and contact details.

Its amazing what you can do with limited tools, some ingenuity and pure bloody mindedness.

Is he the guy over at Pt Chev? i live round the corner.....sort of and was going to leave a message on one of the trump screens when i'm out cycling next.
I also noticed my washer switch doesn't work anymore....... why do i have a triumph again?

Oh yeah a piccy

first, a reply to mr greeks:  not even remotely unintentional my man.  they're a joke over here in terms of response time, as i guess they probably are in uk huh?  notwithstanding, the chap in question is right helpful and a neat guy.

secondly, to smugfop, no, the chap in pt chev is a nice but MAD guy called paul gourlie.  paul incurs the wrath of his neighbours on a regular basis, littering the streetscape, so to speak.  paul's cars mostly don't go and frankly he's lucky not to have the council slap a sticker on them and tow them.  paul occasionally has parts for sale, but frankly you may get more mileage from some others.  paul is singlehandedly compiling a list for the T2000/2500 register of the stats of all trump saloons he can find in nz.  never ending job i reckon, given the number over here.

Archived