Steering column top bush

Dave2000

My car failed its MOT last week on, amongst other things, excessive play in the steering column top bush.
This doesn't look like a particularly easy or pleasant job to do, unless anyone out there knows differently?
How do I go about replacing this? Or can it be repaired, or simply bodged to get it through the test and I can do the job properly later?

All answers gratefully received as the RBRR's getting awfully close!!

Dave - this seems to be a common occurence this year! Have a look through the messages and you'll see virtually everyone has had the same issue. From what I could make of the discussions it's the same as the Sptifire/GT6. Basically you can push another one down the column and displace the old one, or if you're davesideways you can burn the old one out.

To get one in you can tap (read: "smash") it down until it locates using a suitable sized metal pipe, or if in all likelihood you don't live in or next door to a metal pipe factory you can actually do it with a screwdriver  by tapping around the outside, it shouldn't be too much grief (I managed it doing this on my old GT6).

Quote:
is it deffinately the top bush

...........excuse me while I butt in here........

Yes, it is the top bush. I know its not the bottom one 'cos mine fell out a few weeks ago so I know what it feels like!!

Am I right in assuming that we can just tap the new bush in and it will force the old one lower down out of harms way. You just take off the steering wheel, and tap in the bush? Is this right.

Just asking 'cos I will probably end up doing the job anyway!!!! ;D

Dave2000; hows the handbrake/wheel bearing this morning. Did it feel ok on the way home last night?

Quote:
Sorry Mate i was just trying to help!!!!!

.......all help very gratefully receieved Roger! I only discovered this bottom bush falling out issue a few weeks ago, when 4 cars on the same stand at a show had the same problem, one of them being mine!

Anyway, I think we have a solution. I am being told that the top bearing does not need replacing, but if we release the steering column clamp, then pull the innershaft backwards, all will be well.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Archived