Lord Sorbington

Not long into my journey to Brooklands today, I noticed there seemed to be an unusual amount of movement in the steering column - it can be moved up and down by a couple of inches at the wheel.

After a closer look,  seems that a bush or something where the column passes through the bulkhead has disintegrated.

Everthing is still secure but I didn't fancy the 160 mile trip to Brooklands in this state so turned and went home!

Whats involved in changing this?  The Haynes doesn't give much away.  Does the column have to come out? (mk2  2000)

Have exactly the same problem with mine.

The rubber bush is like a huge grommit (new ones from Rimmers or Poly ones from Chris Witor are pennies!)

I tried just pushing mine back in but it pops out again after a few miles.

To do it properly you need to undo the steering u'js under the bonnet, undo the column clamp and then withdraw the column up into the car. You can then replace or refit the new bush easily, it just slips over the bulkhead rather like a window rubber. Then put the column back in.

I haven't done mine yet, but its on the long list of things to do!

After a proper look this afternoon, its not as serious as I thought.  It was just disconcerting to see the whole steering column moving from the drivers seat!

As you say, fitting a new bush doesn't seem like too much of a hassle and they're cheap enough.  Will get one on order for my spares stockpile.

One option I'm considering  in the short term is making one out of thick rubber that could be fitted from the engine bay, without removing the steering column, just wrap it round the column and push it into position, sticking it to the column tube if necessary to keep it in place.  May be worth a try.  Will see what i've got in the (garden) shed.

I did test drive (and not buy) a 2000 a while back with a lot of movement in the steering column, I understand why now. These cars are so simple I shouldn't have worried!

Its not all bad, with the parcel tray out, I lubed the accelerator cable and unseized the steering height adjust mechanism so every cloud has a silver lining! 

A strip cut from a rubber floor mat make a reasonable temporary fix, especially if the mat has a moulded rubber ridge which you can engage over the edge of the bulkhead.

I found my old bush whilst doing this, it was in bits but I wonder if you cut the new one, it could be fitted over the steering column and pushed into place from the engine side?

New Superflex bit on order, will fit it this week sometime.

May get a standard one from Fitchetts tonight, see if it can be fitted from the engine bay side.

MOT requirement is only that there is no excessive play in the steering column but agree that the correct bush is the way forward

New Superflex bit on order, will fit it this week sometime.

May get a standard one from Fitchetts tonight, see if it can be fitted from the engine bay side.

MOT requirement is only that there is no excessive play in the steering column but agree that the correct bush is the way forward

Hi all, 

Got the new poly bush tonight, fitted it, all done in about 2 hours.  Removing the steering column wasn't that big a deal.

But, a tiny problem:

Cos of the new bush, the steering column now protudes about 5mm less into the engine bay.  This is preventing the pinch bolt on the steering UJ from going back in as it should.  There are 2 separate splined sections on the end of the column, the pinch bolt should pass between them, at the moment it hits the 2nd one.

Any ideas? 

I was running out of patience so have stopped for a rest and a beer!

I had a similar problem. I ended up releasing the the steering column bolt and removing the steering wheel centre and tapping the very centre of the steering column with a screwdriver and lump hammer.

If you have real problems you should be able to adjust the connection section between the two universal joints. The centre long section has a universal joint fixed at one end and a splined end at the other that fits into a UJ on it's own. The splined end should have an elongated section for the pinch bolt so that there is space for adjustment.

Patience returned after beer, loosened UJ from lower steering shaft (manual steering), knocked UJ into position on steering column & put upper pinch bolt in.

Lower pinch bolt now wouldn't go in so swore a lot, sat in car, pushed on steering wheel, felt column move into place, put lower pinch bolt in, reassemble everything, jobs a good 'un!

The moral seems to be to clean the splines first, but it was awkward pushing the column through the new bush.

Car feels much better as a result.  Make sure you align the steering wheel correctly 1st though!  My assistant forgot and its now 180 degrees out.  Doh!  Not taking the column back out now though!

As I mentioned, this process also fixed the seized height adjustment mechanism so I can now drive with the wheel at a comfortable height.

I was a bit worried obout the ancient multiplugs and having to disconnect them.  One or two put up a fight but no probs in that respect.  I even remembered to disconnect the battery!

Thanks R-V. 

The lower shaft does have the elongated cut out in the splined section to give some adjustment, but not quite enough in my case until I got the steering column that little bit further through the bulkhead.

Another problem ticked off the list.  The old bush really had turned to dust!

• 1 month later...

Sorbs,

I finally did mine this evening!!

But, now that the new one is in, the column is STILL moving a bit. Not as much as when the grommet wasn't there, but more than I would suspect. Def not play in the column bushes, the whole column is still moving up and down inside the new grommet.

You fitted a Superflex one didn't you, from Chris Witor?

Do you have ANY movement at all now?

Many thanks.

No movement at all.  But....

I had a huge attack of impatience on this one so drove like a loony on the way home from work to get to Fitchetts before closing time.  I bought a polyuerethane bush from them and fitted that.  It was yellow (not sure of the manufacturer) as opposed to blue like the CW item which arrived shortly after.

It was a real bitch getting the column through the bush, very tight but there is no free play at all.

I did notice that the bush wasn't the same on each side and took a guess what way round it should be fitted in the hole.  I reasoned that as the old one fell into the engine compartment, the large diameter flange (of the two flanges on the bush) should go on the inside of the car.  The hole for the column was tapered more on this side which I thought may be to allow steering column adjustment.

Will dig out the CW bush to see if it is the same, but can't really see my theory making that much of  a difference to be honest.....

[quote by=sorbs link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1177247502,s=10 date=1177362946]Make sure you align the steering wheel correctly 1st though!  My assistant forgot and its now 180 degrees out.  Doh!  Not taking the column back out now though!
[/quote]

Sorbs. Is that what caused your problem with the self cancelling indicator? Do you mean the whole exterior of the steering column is 180 out?

You've got me worried now. as I removed the stalks from the column and now I'm wondering what actually cancels them and whether I put them back right.

I don't really understand why, but ever since I did this, the indicators cancel far too quickly when turning right, they were OK before.

Generally, the rotating steering shaft on a car has lugs or cams which stick out, flicking off the indicator switch as the wheel is turned, The outer fixed column is in its original position, but I guess now that the lug on the rotating shaft is now in the wrong position relative to the indicator switch.  Not actually bothered to investigate properly......

Its not a major issue, when turning right on small roundabouts, the indicator self cancels halfway round. 

Just annoying cos I know I cocked it up! 

Excuse me if I've mis-read the posts - but there is an easy way to move the column in and out if the end is not protruding enough - unclamp the adjusting clamp!  With everything in place and loosely bolted up, the column can then be adjusted to its optimum length for the driver, nipped up on the clamp then tightened up on the pinch bolts in the engine bay!

If you still have movement, maybe the hole that the bush sits in has been worn/enlarged?

Cheers

Mike!

Mikeyb  - when refitting the column assembly, complete with steering wheel, I had the adjusting clamp completely removed.  Because the new bush was so much bigger than the remains of the old one it was as far through the bulkhead as I could get it, flange at the base of the column up against the bush.  The UJ needed relocating on its splines to reach the column correctly.....

Loosely refitting the clamp did help as it made the steering column more solid to push on when trying to get it back through.

Archived