MK1 and MK2 steering differences?

Andy Borris

The manual rack I've fitted, needed both ball joints screwed completely in and it's still not got it's wheels in a straight line!

I know that power steering arms hang lower then the manual ones, didn't think they bent in into the middle of the car more though?

Hmm, can you contact you supplier and change it?

I know the internals are interchangeable with other cars.

One supply sells a fast road "quick" rack which uses a Spitfire assembly.

You may have one from a different car by mistake or error.

Am I right in thinking that the rack isn't quite where Triumph intended it these days?  That could have an influence.   How sure are you that it really is a saloon rack?  The ones from the small chassis cars look very similar (as do TR ones), but I don't think the track rods are the same length.  Not sure which are longer/shorter tbh but there may be solution lurking in there somewhere?

Cheers

Nick

Edit, the only part of the Spitfire rack you need is the pinion (7 teeth) which is a direct replacement for the original 6 tooth.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the rack isn't quite where Triumph intended it these days?

Yes, quite right and it's lower, so that should have made the track rod ball joints further from the racks center, not nearer!

Was thinking about going to rod ends away!

Andy

Have you swapped the steering arms on the uprights for manual steering ones?  Not sure that this is what is causing your problem, but they are different and you don't want PAS arms with manual rack or vice-versa.

Can compare Spit and saloon racks if you need - I have both, though the saloon one is attached to a car which could make it interesting!

Nick

Thanks Nick, but you don't need to do that.

I've got a Spit rack arriving any day soon, it was the easiest way to get hold of a 7 tooth pinion! And then I'll get both racks and steering arms on the bench and have a play.

I think the general  consensus is that's there's no difference between MK1 and MK2 racks,

The steering is pretty light now, so I'm hoping that it won't get too heavy with the 7 tooth pinion.....  

Archived