Andy Borris

Just fitted an (allegedly!) NOS Spitfire steering rack to my MK1.

How stiff should a new or reconditioned rack be? The one I've just fitted is so stiff, I've lost all the self centering qualities and it's two handed heavy even at 10 mph!

Do I need to bin it or will it “loosen” in a few miles? Don't really want to drive more than a few miles at the moment....and in case CW can't send me one within a few days, are the Rimmer ones OK?

Think I'll be going back to the standard ratio too!

Thanks

A quick rack as this set up should give you would be heavier - but not that heavy.

One point though, NOS genuine BL Landcrab racks are supplied dry - you have to fill them with the specified oil before you use them.

My brother bought one and fitted it to the Team Thailand car and as he did not drive it more than 10 miles before I took it over he did not appreciate what the steering was like. I noticed it was heavy but driveable, but after a few thousand miles notice it was very VERY (nearly two handed) stiff. When I undid the column and track rod ends and moved the rack by hand you could feel and hear it grinding :shock:

Fitted my own NOS spare after filling it with oil, think it was through one end of a gaiter but not sure, and after a further 20,000 miles steering is still sweet.

MUT

All the Triumph racks I've had dealings with have been greased.

Shouldn't be that tight Andy.  Either the pinion or the slipper block have been shimmed too tight.  Try loosening the big nut adjacent to where the pinion (has a grease nipple or blanking plug in the centre).  This sets the backlash and can be very fussy to get right.  Shims under the nut set the final position but loosening it will tell if this is the problem.

I put a 7 tooth pinion (from Herald rack) in my PI rack.  This sharpened the steering up usefully but did make it very heavy at parking speeds.  Fine on the move though and self centred as normal

Nick

I was of course referring to the Landcrab rack, making the point about having adequate lubrication when new.

Having checked the Manual it states 5 pumps of grease every 24,000 miles to the 'Steering Unit'.  Presumably this indicates the rack was pre-lubricate with grease - the Landcrab Workshop Manual actually stated that new racks needed to be filled with oil,

MUT

Nick_Jones wrote:

Shouldn't be that tight Andy.  Either the pinion or the slipper block have been shimmed too tight.  Try loosening the big nut adjacent to where the pinion (has a grease nipple or blanking plug in the centre).  This sets the backlash and can be very fussy to get right.  Shims under the nut set the final position but loosening it will tell if this is the problem.

Nick

Thanks Nick

Tried this, it did improve with the big nut removed, but not by that much. It seems to have a "flat spot" around the straight ahead position, very heavy here, then lightens as you move away from the centre.

Feels almost as if the rack or the casing is bent!

Andy

Hmm.... might well be bent then.  In my experience it's more common the other way around as the rack bar wears against the slipper block more just around the straight ahead position (where it sees most action) so when you get the right amount of play/backlash in the centre it's too tight everywhere else.....

ONly other place it can be tight is the bush in the other end.  If it really were NOS (or even just been sat around for decades maybe there is some corrosion on the rack at that point?

If it carries any supplier warranty then it might be worth a grumble?  Otherwise use the pinion in your original rack.

Nick

Stripped the rack and down and it is bent, also obviously not NOS judging from the wear marks on pinion and rack.

Also found the Paypal transaction, I'll contact the seller, who is still trading and may even be a poster on this forum, see if he'll make good!

Anyway all ready for the nice, properly reconditioned Witor rack to fit on Monday evening.