Lost key. - how to unlock  steering column

Bluehorizons

Hi all I am trying to move the 1973 Stag out of my parents garage as they are moving and I will be trying to restore the car. But nobody can find the key and although the doors are unlocked the steering column is locked so I can't turn the wheels. Any ideas for how to get around this?  Thanks in advance.

Matt

If you're lucky, someone may have cut slots into the shear bolts that hold the lock on , so you can undo them like a screw.

If you haven't already, take off the 2 part black surround around the steering column switches and you'll see the alloy lock housing. There will be 2 bolts holding this on. If they are headless with no slots, then you may have to drill them out.

Edit : The other option is to pop the bonnet and remove the lower steering column to the rack, you can then turn the wheels by hand.

Russell.

Hey thanks guys for the quick responses. Is removing the lower steering column from the rack difficult?  Since the drivers door is right up against the garage wall I'd have to go in thru the pax door which would make it really difficult to get underneath the steering wheel to cut the slots.  Thanks again.

Matt

buy yourself(or borrow) a pair of wheel dollies such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Wheel-Dollies-450kg-Per-Dolly-/170978431673?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item27cf1bd2b9

then all you have to do is jack up the front of the car , slip the dollies in and push it out.  (or over to the other side of the garage)

You can then play with the steering lock to heart's content!