Replacing steering column bushes

CharlieB

Is it possible to replace the steering column bushes without removing the complete column from the car?
I'm trying to withdraw the shaft from the tube but the wire on the horn contact ring seems to be too short to allow me to get it out the way.

One school of thought is yes - you just bash the old bushes down the column using the new bushes.  At least that's for the top bush.

Personally I'd do it by the book as, unless you've replaced it recently the lower column coupling will be shagged too and you have to remove the steering column to change that anyway.

Kill two birds with one stone is what I say (with a solid UJ one from Rarebits to stop one of the birds coming back to haunt you in a few years).

Mj17 wrote:
One school of thought is yes - you just bash the old bushes down the column using the new bushes.  At least that's for the top bush.

But I can't get the bush past the horn ring. Maybe I can get some slack in the wire if I release it from the bottom?

Mj17 wrote:
Personally I'd do it by the book....

Can't find anything in Haynes & my Triumph book is for the later 1500 with TR7 type column, Doh!
What does the book say, first remove complete column (inner & outer tube)?

Ok, got the column out & the old bushes out. Can't get the new ones in now!
I'm thinking stick them in some boiling water to soften them & pull them in with a nut on a very long piece of studding?
Anyone got a good/better method of doing this?

Archived