steering column upper mounting

Rich_s

Hi All,

Got a problem hopefully you guys can help me with, last week i felt a vibration through the steering wheel, no constant, just on and off without explanation. I jacked both front wheels up and found play in the near side one, at the weekend i checked them all over and found play in the lower trunnion bushes, so i get a new set for each side but when i come to change them i find the brass housing itself is knackered on the near side as looks like was not fitted right in the first place, not screwed on enough, so i checked the other side and found that brass housing with a slight amount of play and the bolt in the bushes seized, so now got to get two new trunnions and a bolt.

Anyway, i thought the vibration would be caused by these problems but found today that if i grab the steering wheel it moves up an down, checked it all out and seems like the whole top half of the steering column moves up and down, the upper mounting also moves so looks like where this mounts to the body is the problem, but i cant find where it mounts, everything is hidden by the dash which i have never managed to remove yet, does anyone know where it mounts so i can check to see if the bolts have come loose, or something hopefully as simple as that.

thanks for any help

rich

My steering wheel can be moved around...but then it has since 2002 when I got it and I've just waited for an MOT failure but haven't got one yet. Drives fine with no vibration. Could be with all these pot-holes around that a weight might have dropped off the front wheels - try swapping them to the rear.

Have fitted the new trunnions, bit of a pig of a job as the lower bolt on the one side was seized so had to cut it out, all fitted now though. Been out for a drive and the steering is alot smoother and does full lock in both directions much better now.

The problem is the vibration is still there, doesnt happen anywhere near the same amount of times as before, used to happen most of the time whereas i did about 12mile and only happened twice and only briefly, checked the wheel weights and all still there, will go and have a play with the upper column mounting and see if it has come loose, will check the rack as well.

maybe one day all the problems will be sorted and i can have a few months maintenance free driving?   ....but i doubt it :)

rich

Archived