herald flywheel swap?

wlttz

Thank you mace! is there anything about the herald you dont know? :) what happend was i ordered a clutch kit for a 64 herald and they sent me a diaphram type set instead of a coil spring type  :(   i will lose my shipping fee of $65 when i return. the flywheel needs resurfaced anyway so i thought , mabey swap for a diaphram type cause it is less expensive to replace the clutch pressure plate in future , and easier to find localy.  PS .... my barn find herald is coming along nicely!! still need a dash though :(

1887 wrote:
It's an easy and sensible upgrade.

Could you do me a favour and explain exactly why? I was intending this on my Herald but a number of local mechanics have told me not to, citing the coil clutch as much more durable and hard wearing. Many of them also work on old tractors, with coil spring clutches, which they tell me were fitted for that very reason.

I don't know about durability but availability of components is better for diaphagm clutches. I'd imagine that NOS coil spring clutch stocks will run out and there won't be sufficient demand to remanufacture.
In terms of use, diaphragms are more progressive I believe, a bit lighter and more comfortable to use.
But it's a long time since I drove a coil clutch car so I stand to be corrected.

I believe Jez has hit the nail on the head(s)
Availability is a big factor, but coil clutches are probably better suited to tractors than cars. The diaphragm type are just better in their action.

Saying that decent diaphragm clutches are getting harder to find, and new coil spring ones do turn up fairly regularly at autojumbles. Probably because so many cars have been converted to diaphragm type.

5493 wrote:
Thank you mace! is there anything about the herald you dont know? :)
Well, I've been at this virtually all my life...but I'm still learning!

5493 wrote:
what happend was i ordered a clutch kit for a 64 herald and they sent me a diaphram type set instead of a coil spring type  :( ....
I hope you didn't pay coil spring prices only to receive a diaphragm type! Unless you get lucky on an eBay auction or the like, coil spring clutches for Heralds have gotten very expensive comapred to the diaphragm type. And then there's the chance that, if you're not careful or don't know what you're buying (or the seller what he's selling), you'll end up with a six-spring coil spring pressure plate. That's fine if you've a Standard 8/10 or Herald 948, but it could be a bit weak compared to the nine-spring version found on the Herald 1200 and early Spitfire!

found this on ebay , will this spitfire flywheel fit my 64 herald??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-1300-Original-Reconditioned-Flywheel-VGC-/330636429610?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfb77892a&vxp=mtr

5493 wrote:
found this on ebay , will this spitfire flywheel fit my 64 herald??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-1300-Original-Reconditioned-Flywheel-VGC-/330636429610?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfb77892a&vxp=mtr
That should work just fine, but it seems rather expensive, even considering that it's "fully reconditioned"?