sally

So, do you really have to remove the head to replace the chain ??!!

Our car has only covered 26K from new and has been well looked after.  How long before it should normally need a chain swap (I know it's a kind of open ended question)

Sal & Lee

Unlike modern belts a chain can go on almost forever!

You NEED to think about changing it when it gets noisy (not to be confused with valve clearance tapping on 'our' engines) or if the tensioner has worn out, or if the sproket teeth have worn. With your mileage I doubt any need to touch it at all.

Taking the head off will be of little benefit to this operation.

Sally that doesn't sound right to me. You remove the timing chain cover and replace the timing chain and tensioner. I think it is a straight-forward job but I haven't done it on a dolomite or toledo but Triumph engines are all very similar. Have you got a Haynes manual or similar that should explain how to do this?

Someone will probably be able to give you the step by step if not but a workshop manula is a good idea if you do not already have one.

Best of luck, Neil

Sorry for suggesting that all Triumpg engines are similar. Whichever configuration of engine, the timing chain is behind a timing chain cover and that was what I meant to suggest. Hopefully those that are familiar with this procedure on this engine will be able to suggest exactly how this should be done.

Cheers, Neil

Archived