Bent Rocker Cover

Dave Williams

Hi All,

First post here. My brother has just inherited a '61 Herald 1200 which our Grandparents owned from new. We collected it last weekend and I'm working on it with him. Neither of us are experienced mechanics or know Heralds so this is our opportunity to learn. The tappets came loose on our drive home last weekend and in adjusting those we've discovered that someone has previously tried to lever the rocker cover off, bent the edge and scored the covers gasket surface in the process. This explains the fresh oil on one side of the engine at the end of our journey. Please see the photos - does anyone know if this is repairable? We understand that forming a seal with the cork gasket can be tricky anyway so would we just be better off buying a replacement cover. We think the bent cover is a replacement alloy one  - seems too light to be steel and it obviously bent easily! Thanks in advance - Dave.

Bill and Mark will be along soon, but do I spot an original black pear shaped gear knob ?  If so, fit a burgler alarm - they are very scarce. [Tongue in cheek remark - not serious]
If you are newbies you might not know that your car MAY be on an earlier version of the chassis (referred to as Mk 1) than most 1200s out there.  
Looking forward to hearing more.

C.

That indeed seems to be a very early 1200 (July 1961 registered) so must be among the oldest survivors.  I spy pear shaped black gear knob, white door handle and winder escutcheons and a white tipped speedometer needle, countersunk switches on the facia and a key operated exterior passenger door lock which signify very early 1200.  If this were mine, I'd sympathetically renovate and keep as original and as standard as I could.  It is a very collectable little car.

Mark

Thanks a lot your advice so far! I'm the lucky owner now of the lovely Herald in question but am currently away so Dave offered to start the thread. As far as I'm aware, it's virtually all stock aside from a couple of door locks that had to be replaced, but I have a vague recollection of the car being 'restored' in approx the mid 90's but I'd have been less than 10 years old at that point! I've read through the service history and don't recall any record of either the valance or bonnet being replaced, but I dont actually recall any record of any restoration, so I'm not 100% my memory serves me correctly there. Once I get the service history from my uncle I'll check back through it all. Once we've had a chance to sort the rocker cover we'll update. I adjusted all the tappets (hopefully correctly) with a feeler gauge before I came away, so first job done. Just feels amazing to own the herald I dreamt of as a child.

Likewise, my grandfather owned my Herald from new, I remember going with him to the showroom to take delivery back in 1965.  These are charming cars, but being one of the earliest 1200s yours is particularly special especially as it retains many early features.  Meanwhile, here's mine.....

Mark

Quoted from Mark Hammond
Might be wrong but I thought by '61 they all had the aperture.....

M.

No, that definitely is a replacement (later style) valence. The change came roughly with the "MkII" chassis at GA80001 and future. My own GA41429LDL has the correct earlier style valence (although it is long overdue for some attention to preserve it, such as removing about 34 metric tons of filler and reshaping it more properly )!

Quoted Text
I wonder if it would be possible to track down an original valance to fit...

Don't fret about it.  It's only nerds like us that would even notice, let alone care.  I only spotted it because (sensibly) the number plate is positioned to expose the aperture.  if it was mounted higher no-one would be likely to notice.

We would love to know the Commission Number (don't post the last two digits if you are concerned).

C.

That should be on a small aluminium plate on the side of the bulkhead. There will be a small tag that is painted body colour - that is the body number, and not really that relevant. The Commission number is that the DVLA records as the 'chassis number' for the car... and just to confuse matters further, there is a small metal tag welded to the front crossmember of the chassis under the engine which is the chassis number, but like the body number not what the DVLA record.

Also, I don't think anyone else answered the original post directly - the rocker cover is the original steel type. It's very thin. The aluminium one is a cast and machined unit, much thicker material.

Going by the colour, it MAY be a 'gold seal' factory replacement engine, but I can't remember how 'gold' the 'gold' paint was??