Greeks

Jason wrote:
I've never seen the thing in the "flesh" so to speak - it's not so much a sump guard as a stone deflector - the idea was it was for the Chicane , African dirt roads etc.

If you really want a man's sump / gear box guard, take a look at the mahoosive piece of Dreadnought armour plate they put on the works rally cars - difficult for one man to lift and designed to take RPG rounds full on I think. After a nuclear war teh only things left will be cockroaches and World Cup sump guards

And thats how they should be! no tarting about!

i,ve owned or broken 5 chicanes over the years,the last one i still have everything unique to a Chicane, there wasn,t or has never been a next section Charles,this is incorrect,this isn,t a sumpguard as such,it doesn,t cover the sump,its more of a deflector,its also quite heavy,these pics where taken without the brackets which drop from the front crossmember,it doesn,t affect the cooling as the cutout at the front follows the cutout on the lower valance,there is a skid plate  listed for the gearbox/rear trailing arms.

Andy Macdonut's family business used to bend the bullet proofing kevlar material for army Land Rovers ... I would have thought that stuff would have be useful to make guards out of.

If anyone does come up with a design i'd be interested ... although we do have a lot of idle draughtsmen at work, maybe I could collar one of them.

I recall seeing an Australian rally car (Mitsi Evo?) losing its entire tank of fuel on a stage where a rock had penetrated through a guard and the tank below ??)

sahtuning2000 wrote:
i,ve owned or broken 5 chicanes over the years,the last one i still have everything unique to a Chicane, there wasn,t or has never been a next section Charles,this is incorrect,this isn,t a sumpguard as such,it doesn,t cover the sump,its more of a deflector,its also quite heavy,these pics where taken without the brackets which drop from the front crossmember,it doesn,t affect the cooling as the cutout at the front follows the cutout on the lower valance,there is a skid plate  listed for the gearbox/rear trailing arms.

Well I have one fitted to the rally car, it combines this with a second section which covers the sump. The front attaches on the engine cross member and the rear has special clamps that attach to the lips of the chassis rails. There is even a special cut out to get at the sump plug. Of course I could be dreaming and it is really not there at all.

131 wrote:

Well I have one fitted to the rally car, it combines this with a second section which covers the sump. The front attaches on the engine cross member and the rear has special clamps that attach to the lips of the chassis rails. There is even a special cut out to get at the sump plug. Of course I could be dreaming and it is really not there at all.

Great - any chance of a photo?  :)

Archived