Greeks

After slicing through the fuel hose on a branch a few weeks ago I thought I better have a look underneath the car and see what other damage lurks...

Ouch - there's a few dents in the sump and even a nice one on the base of the oil filter!

Anyone got any experience of making a sump guard for a saloon?

Tips, hints, suggestions would be good - I'm particularly interested in getting something 'quick-release' made up to aid oil changes etc.

On the rally car I use a sump guard from a Chicane which requires no holes drilled and is made to fit Mk2s. You need to trim the front section to fit on a Mk1. The Chicane is the South African built T2000 and to get around the regulations of a certain quantity of the car being built locally by weight, made a very heavy steel guard!  :)

If you go for an Ally sump guard it needs to be at least 6mm+ thick and dont have any welded joints on it tend to smash and break

I used 4mm thick steel on the taxi- two sections- front section protects the sump etc -rear section protects gearbox etc,mounts welded onto chasis

Always put some foam or similar between the sump and guard to stop stones sitting between the two waiting to get smashed into the sump pan when you land heavy on the sump guard

The best bit about putting a guard on its taking the car out and trying to test it!

jcarruthers wrote:
The issue will be bending them - we need an orginal to bend them round.

you need a bending machine or folder! try doing it in a vice with a decent  thickness it will come out like a dogs dinner!

I did a rough sketch and took it to a fabricator round the corner from dales to put the bends in then cut it to fit back at the workshop -total cost about a tenner! I will post some pics up over the weekend

The one pictured looks about as much use as a chocolate fire guard on decent rough stuff! - you cant over engineer a sump guard!! maybe my view has been tainted after driving over the atlas mountains!
The one on the Taxi is more that strong enough to jack the front of the car up on-quite usefull really!

I've never seen the thing in the "flesh" so to speak - it's not so much a sump guard as a stone deflector - the idea was it was for the Chicane , African dirt roads etc.

If you really want a man's sump / gear box guard, take a look at the mahoosive piece of Dreadnought armour plate they put on the works rally cars - difficult for one man to lift and designed to take RPG rounds full on I think. After a nuclear war teh only things left will be cockroaches and World Cup sump guards

Archived