Introduction and V8 conversion sump question

omichaelshar

Hi everyone,

I am an Aussie located in Sydney. Some of you may know me from the TR7 /8 Forum and World Wide Wedge mailing list. I have a few wedges and am in the process of rebuilding and converting one to V8 spec (flicker photo stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11445958@N00/).

Looks like I have decided to buy a recond 4.0L 4 bolt short engine for my project. I have an old Range Rover 22D (3.5L) engine. I would appreciate suggestions on how to setup sump and oil pickup.

Opinions please...
Owen, Sydney, Australia

i think 4.0litre crank is shorter than 3.9litre because of the different
oil pump housings  ??)(4.0 crank driven pump, 3.9 cam driven)try the v8 owners forum
i got lots of good rover v8 advice there.  im in aus too, glad to see another
tr7 enthusiast here.   pic of my car, classic rallys when all finished...

4.0 crank has longer nose to allow for the different crank-driven oil pump of the later engines. Cam is different as well, as the later crank doesn't have the drive for the distributor/oil pump.
No probs, just fit the early timing cover, early style (pre-serpentine) camshaft of your choice, use the early style oil pickup pipe (the block is already drilled and tapped for it!), and when you fit the front pulley you'll see the nose of the crank sticks out through the end by roughly 1/4 inch - make a spacer about 1/8 inch longer than this protrusion, pop the spacer over the protruding part and fit the front pulley bolt and thick washer. Job done.

Hi Owen,

regarding your original question about the sump, I don't think the Rangie sump will fit the TR7 so you need to fit a Rover SD1 sump pan & oil pick up. The sump is a straight swap as far as I know.

If the car is for track or competition use then some people go for extra baffling in the sump, but fo normal road use the standard set up is fine.

Archived