Thermostat Housing on Stag V8

Richard B

I've just discovered that the thread has stripped on the thermostat housing which is part of the inlet manifold. As I am loathe to remove the inlet manifold (unless absolutely neccasary). Has anyone managed to drill this out insitu? I have a recoil kit so can repair the thread, it's the access that concerns me (radiator, airbox, bodywork etc). I was wondering about a 90 degree drill or a smal hand drill. :-/

Richard i think everything you've said will work, right handed drills are common tools today and B&Q will sell you one at a good price. Removing the radiator (may not be necessary) and inlet air filter are not difficult to remove at all. Even if the inlet manifold has to come off - your Haynes manual describes the operation precisely (i know i have just had to do it to take heads off) and only took me a few hours after labelling things up before dismantling. Once you've got that off the job should be easy but i would have thought you could do the repair with just the air filter box removed.

You might get away with just tapping a new thread in, if you go slowly, with a pair of molegrips around the tap, unfortunatly you will have to keep undoing them as you cant get a full turn.
Take your time, keep it central, use a bit of cutting oil and back off the tap after every few turns, and have a hoover handy to suck out the swarf.

Archived