Radiator leaking

andyc

Do any of you guru's out there know if there is a French car with a radiator which matches or would make a suitable replacement for the one on a MK1 stag.

My Kenlowe fan quit on me last week and now I have fitted a replacement I find the radiator has a leak about 3" from the bottom. :'(

Andy

I have found the radweld/celit etc products very useful. A almost new rad developed a small leak in the core, a sachet of celit, and it was never an issue again. That stuff only hardens where it finds the leak, so shouldn't cause other issue. If worried, run it until leak fixed, then drain the coolant.
Alternatively, a blob of decent araldite will cure many leaks.

If you want an alternative radiator, measure the spaceavailable and have a browse. Ebay is handy as many suppliers put the dimensions on the listings, but that may be the case with radiator suppliers too. But be prepared for some bracket making and re-plumbing.

My mate used K Seal in his Discovery V8, kept it going for another 6 months after a head gasket failed.  Inevitably though it eventually ground to a halt in a big cloud of steam one day.

The radiator on my Merc had a small leak, my local friendly mechanic said K Seal would fix it however I preferred the certainty of just fitting a new radiator.

• 4 weeks later...

I will admit I have used K Seal on a couple of occasions (on cars where it was not worth fixing them (I.E £200 Volvos) but on other cars on which I bought with cooling issues Radweld only made the problems worse.

On a Porsche 944 the heater matrix literally started to pour water into the car from what was an odd bit of misting before the radweld (complete with steam coming from under the dash when the heater matrix finally died.  On a 2004 Mondeo I had to change every hose which all blew in spectacular fashions.

In your shoes I would buy another rad, at least for the long run :).

Thanks for all your help folks, I really didn't trust slinging muck in in the hope it would fill the hole, finally got a new  one from James Paddock. Had it Delivered to my son and picked it up when I went back to the UK for a visit. Just got to find the time to fit it now.

Archived