anley overdrive gearboxes

doctee

hi all,
         i am thinking of buying one of canleys overdrive boxes for my herald,has anybody fitted one or know off a website where i can read up on it. canleys say they do not include instructions and i would like to know what kind of job i would be undertaking.
many thanks
doctee

Get yourself a factory workshop manual and off you go - I fitted a Canley o/d box to my Herald, went for a rather unorthodox approach as I had all the bits, the only think that screwed me up was the driven plate, hadn't realised I needed a different one but soon sorted that. I did have Dave's help at Canley's and couldn't have done it without his stock of bits. Totally transformed the car on the motorway, well worth the effort and expense to me.

Jigsaw and a few others - shop around  :) Don Cook's got a Frontline (I think) conversion in his GT6 and loves it (and the gearbox too), Jo Welling's got the Canley development Type 9 in his Spit at the moment, not sure what the state of play of that is - it's in and running for sure.

We purchased our overdrive gearbox when it was still John Kipping, it was also fitted there back in 1996 this has been one of our best buys and couldn't live without it now.  It has more than paid for itself over the last 12 years especially if your looking at driving on the autobarns, RBRR's, 10Cr's etc

i have taken the plunge and bought a jisaw conversion kit as i have a sierra 1.8 5 speed gearbox and this seems to be the cheapest conversion (£700+) and i have bought a recon engine that i will (try) and fit at the same time.
hopefully i will photograph and put a thread on here so you can all suffer along with me. the reason i am doing the engine at the same time is that the original engine is leaking oil from the sump gasket and i do not know the history of the engine and as i plan to use and keep the car i hope this will actually save money in the long run.
the engine is coming from jigsaw also and i had anengine that i planned to rebuild buy the parts pistons,shells etc came to £750-£850 and the recon engine has all new parts and mark at jigsaw said that all the external bolts would be replaced with new, so it hardly seemed worthwhile doing it myself and as i am motorcycle mechanic i mess with engines all day and thought i would rather drive the Herald than rebuild it's engine.
cheers for the advise  and watch this space ???

Jason wrote:
Jigsaw and a few others - shop around  :) Don Cook's got a Frontline (I think) conversion in his GT6 and loves it (and the gearbox too), Jo Welling's got the Canley development Type 9 in his Spit at the moment, not sure what the state of play of that is - it's in and running for sure.

Autogear in Canvey Island have been doing one for a few years as well.
Frontline offered us the Triumph agency to sell their kits a couple of years back but by that stage we had developed our own (with thanks to DD). I started buying Type 9's about 7 years ago when they were considerably more common. To my mind the current retail prices of these kits is a little on the high side, I can't see why they have to be anywhere near that sort of level.

• 2 months later...

redsunbeam wrote:
Those that have the type 9 gearbox, have you got the shortened one that jigsaw do (so the gearlever stays in the same place) or is the gearlever further back?

The standard Type 9 has the gearstick along way back.  Just about bearable on a Spitfire but problematic on a GT6 (engine is a bit further back) and also on Heralds as seating position and handbrake appear further forward (?) certainly on my Vitesse the gear lever would have been about halfway down the handbrake if left in the standard T9 position.

It is relatively straight forward to shorten the T9 remote by 65mm (requires alloy welding).  More is possible but cunning is required.  I think Mike Bestard holds the record for most shortening http://gt6-efi.blogspot.com/ but I can't remember what the final figure was.

Nick

Archived