mowerman

Took the Vit out last night putting more miles on the clock to run the engine in and the b*&^%$y overdrive stopped working >:( Went in and out a couple of times then got slower and slower to engage then stopped altogether  :( Was fine on sunday, the only thing I`ve done since then was to top up the oil. Can you overfill an O/D gearbox? Still it`s an excuse to take the interior trim out again  :-/ Apart from that it goes like a train  ;D

I take it solenoid clicks ok when switch is operated, and that there isn't an obvious electrical fault ie loose fuse or wire?  A loose fuse = no fuel gauge, water temp or indicators BTW, as well as no overdrive, as I found out this weekend....

I don't know if an overfull gearbox would cause this problem, but a double check of the level and a clean of the overdrive filter might cure your snag?
Good luck!

I don't think the hypoid oil makes any difference myself - Been using it for years with no ill effects.  Worst it would do is make the overdrive slip, no reason why it would cause the fault you describe.

Low oil makes overdrives stop working.  High oil just means it piddles out even more enthusiastically than usual.

I'd check electrics and , if D-type, the adjustments.

Wish you an easy cure!

Nick

Archived