Spitfire 1500 overdrive gearbox

Andy Fl

Does any one know if an overdrive gearbox from a Sptfire 1500 would be a direct replacement for a 4 speed non overdrive Herald 13/60 gearbox. I'm assuming propshaft lengths are differeent but I was just curious about the match of the bellhousing ?? Any comments gratefully received

Bellhousing is the same in terms of how it mates to the engine. You will need a different clutch plate to match the fine spline input shaft of the 1500 gearbox. Propshaft is 45.5", not a standard Triumph length but maybe used by another manufacturer.
Cheers,
Bill.

A fairly ok swao. I used the clutch plate from a dolly 1300 (same size as herald, but 21 splines rather than 10). I used a vitesse non o/d prop, and had to space the engine forward a touch, using a bit 1" square tubing. gearbox mounting plate done by using the std one and redrilling holes for the od mount and I think it had to be moved along the chasis too. all simple with a drill!
Well worth the effort, especially if you have a known good box!
Cheers
Clive

Thanks to Bill and Clive for the prompt replies. Thanks also to "Smallfry" for the suggestion of a clutch disc and cover. This is probably a very daft question but would I have to change the flywheel as well ? And what about the angle of the gearstick shaft. Would it still fit through the Herald gearbox cover and rubber without any cutting and reshaping? Also what would I need to do to wire up the overdrive ....which in this case is on the top of the gearlever knob. So many questions !!

My old Herald (now Joshes) has this gearbox combination fitted.  The gear lever comes out of the original hole and the tunnel cover fitted without modification.

As the box actually came from a dolomite 1500 and had a dolly gearstick, I shortened the gearstick by chopping out the rubber insulating bit in the middle of and welding the 2 sections together.  It has a superb change.

The flywheel is 1300 with 13/60 clutch cover and late Dolly 1300 / Toledo fine spline clutch plate.  The rear mount is Spit 1500 with the original Herald mounting plate extended to suit.  Prop is a special.

This is a really good conversion that transforms the car.  The only downside is the extreme weight of the gearbox due to overdrive and cast iron bell housing.  This is the heaviest gearbox combination used in the small chassis Triumphs I think!

Overdrive wiring is very simple as the J type does not require a relay (but you can use one if you want).  Take a feed from the ignition controlled fuse and do fit another in-line fuse as the gearstick wiring has a hard life and is prone to failure!

Nick

I agree with everything Nick has said, as I have done more or less the same......of course, I thought of it first  ;)...........you COULD change the flywheel to a Spit 1500 one, but be aware that there are two sizes of flywheel bolts, and the 13/60, unless it is a very late one with a GK engine number, will have the smaller bolts, and the Spit 1500 one will have the larger ones. If you want to change it, and you have the smaller bolt crank, you can get some reducing bushes from Rimmer Bros. Of course, you could redrill and tap your crankshaft if you are confident.

You can then use the bigger 1500 clutch. If you do change the flywheel, make sure you get a Spitfire one, and not one for a Dolomite, because the Dolly one has a ring gear with finer teeth for use with a pre engaged starter.

Strangely enough, I have a Spitfire 1500 flywheel, and a brand new clutch for that too (don't ask >:() if you need it.............and No ! I am not a dealer !

Archived