chassis numbers

nickrds

hi all.
after checkin my log book chassis no with the number on the cars chassis plate i've found a descrepancy.
the car is a early 1971 mk 4 an as such has a chassis plate no fh 94** then after a space of bout 2 inches there is a nought. dvlc has included this 0 on my log book, makin my chassis no fh 94***. from what i've researched the mk4 only went up to fh 65*** and then became the 1500 with no startin with fm.
has anyone ever had this problem b4? an does anyone know wot the 0 at the end of the no does stand for, we thought possibly factory overdrive?
alyhough i have a valid log book, my concern is it'll affect my heritage statis to get free road tax
many tnx

0 is usually overdrive, hence the space between the last digit of the commission number and the 0.
The DVLA are good at this, my Herald Estate ends in SC but they've changed the S to an 8 making it the very last Herald ever made by a factor of thousands.
As long as the date of first registration is on the log book - and with a MK4 from 1971 there won't be any doubt, as there may be in a late 1972 or early 1973 car - the car will be taken to be tax-exempt.

Hey,

I am definitely not the utmost authority on this since i don't even own a spitfire (i am looking at the moment) but there is a section in the Haynes Restoration Manual for Triumph Spitfire, GT6, Vitesse and Herald (Appendix 5 - Chassis and Mechanical Identification, page 292) which states that the suffix letter O on the chassis is for overdrive.

I could scan the 2 page appendix section and upload/email it somewhere for you if it will help.

Archived