Cyril The Herald (1968 13/60 Restoration) - Rewire

Cyril_The_Herald

Cyril The Herald - Rewire

Hi and thanks to those who have been so kind and helpful with my other thread.  This is a new thread, not specifically focused on getting Cyril started, road-worthy or looking good, but more content with ensuring that where I get the opportunity to, I replace all electrical wires and connections so as to gradually make good the electrical system :-)

So, here is my first question (probably of many - I apologise in advance).

Today I have ordered these new battery leads...

http://tinyurl.com/75qo68z
http://tinyurl.com/6s4cmmw

...these will surely ensure better connectivity and less resistance as the current leads are filthy, rusty and frayed.

So what next, well, consulting the Circuit Diagram for the Vitesse I want to purchase all of the cable I need in all of the right colours.  problem I have is knowing what thickness/amp/voltage rating I should buy.  It's not so apparent from the Workshop Manual.

Thanks in advance.  Rich & Kelly.

Workshop Manual >>>

You can buy whole new looms I think in the original colours. This may be an easier option for you? The wiring system isn't too complicated, however it isn't unknown for the horn's wiring to confuse even time served auto sparks!

I've got gold plated battery terminals on my Herald, apparently they make for a better connection. They also look pretty. :)

May I suggest  purchasing a similar type cable of sufficient length to attach to the negative lead, where it attaches to the body, of sufficient length to attach the other end to one of the bell housing bolts, allowing slack to accommodate engine movement.
The original, braided straps connecting the engine to frame can cause high resistance due to many of the individual strands fracturing from fatigue, even though they still appear to be in good condition.

Complete re-wire is quite difficult without some technical knowledge, first get yourself a haynes classic car electrical manual, then have a look at www.vehicleproducts.co.uk and get a catalogue, you will find a chart on what size/amp wire to use for each component, obviously things that take higher current will need larger wire, you will see exactly what you need..............good luck.