Baldry1500

Does anyone have any experience of child seats in Spitfires? I have recently acquired a 1500 and I have a 2 year old who is very keen to go for a ride in it. I tried fitting my current seat a maxi cosi tobi and it was far too big. Has anyone found a suitable seat or am i just wishfully thinking that seats that are safe and legal are produced for these wonderful cars?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Baldry1500

Where are you trying to fit the child-seat?  The only place you can fit a child seat in a Spitfire is on the passenger seat, in which case pretty much any child seat will fit, secured by the seatbelt.

You should not attempt to fit a child seat in the space behind the driver or passenger seat - there are no secure anchorage points, and this space was never intended as a seat.  You would be on very dodgy ground with the constabulary if they spotted you carrying a child in this space.

Hi Bodders,
I am trying to fit in the passenger seat. Have just weighed her and she is only 1.5 pounds short of a group 2 seat. All group 1 seats I have found are too bulky with the belts not reaching around and the top attachment point way below the entrance to the top of the child seat making them unsafe.
I think i'm just going to wait the few weeks until she can fit a group 2 seat, based on age she shouldn't be there for another 18 months but weight wise she is on the cusp. And no she's not obese (before anyone says anything).

Thanks for the advice about between the seats. As a child 25 years ago, I did sit there, but the lovely government and safety campaigners put a stop to that kind of thing since that time.

When I went to view my Spitfire it was advertised as "New family forces sale" and, sure enough, there was a child seat strapped into the passenger seat.

I have been carrying each of my daughters in the passenger seat since they were big enough to fit into a forward-facing child seat.  Trouble is, now they BOTH want to ride in the Spitfire :-(   Anyone want to sell me a stag??

Archived