GT6 mk2 rear seat

chunky63

Hi all,

GT6 MK2 rear seat

I managed to pick up a very nice GT6 rear seat back+squab from a TSSC member local to me.
Unfortunately I don't have the cross member it fits to. I wondered if anyone can help with a picture of what it looks like and more importantly where its located.

Dimensions and measurements please.

I also believe the seats are slightly different between models...can any one shed some light on this too?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer but being in dear ole Devon its a bit of a trek 🙂 I was hoping for some photos of the cross beam that the hinges fit too and dimensions for its position.
I have the standard cross beam which is welded onto the body. I think I need another cross beam further forward.

Quoted from chunky63
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer but being in dear ole Devon its a bit of a trek 🙂 I was hoping for some photos of the cross beam that the hinges fit too and dimensions for its position.
I have the standard cross beam which is welded onto the body. I think I need another cross beam further forward.

You could get it couriered down for not much more than a tenner. I use UPS via Interparcel who are very reliable.

Are you certain that the cross piece should be welded in? On my MK3 which had a rear seat the cross piece with the fittings on bolted to brackets welded to the wheel arches. My current car does not have a rear seat but the cross piece bolts in in the same way.

Thanks John,

The cross beam on my mk2 next to the petrol tank is welded to the arches and looks like its factory ie nice spot welds and painted in the original factory paint. The TSSC website link in my previous post above shows a photo where the standard cross beam is missing and another one is further forward closer to the front seats. This cross beam looks the same as it has similar holes.

The manual talks about the new cross beam as part of the kit you bought to fit the seat along with longer boot floor boards.

Thanks again Steve. With yours and Johns help plus a good look at my manual the light bulb has gone on above my head  
The part I am looking for is item 15 and 16 which as you say bolt onto the car in addition to the welded in one.

Steve...I've sent you a PM

Cheers

You may have to construct them as those bits are hard to find. That diagram does not give dimensions, but you could extrapolate them from the real thing as you do have some known measurements.
One piece of flat steel and one of angle.

Quoted from byakk0
You may have to construct them as those bits are hard to find. That diagram does not give dimensions, but you could extrapolate them from the real thing as you do have some known measurements.
One piece of flat steel and one of angle.

Thanks...Plan to use steveGT6's help with the real thing and my 3D CAD to model up and then make one in my workshop. 😎

My article in the TSSC mag by the way glad it's there in the archives. The early and late mk2 cross bars are different, it depends whether you have the long rear deck as per the early mk2s or the shorter rear deck as per the late mk2. The late one is a simpler construction and is the same as the mk3, the early one is more re complex and also requires shorter front rear deck boards to be fitted.... The photo is of my mk3 and is the later type of cross bar....

Quoted from cook1e
My article in the TSSC mag by the way glad it's there in the archives. The early and late mk2 cross bars are different, it depends whether you have the long rear deck as per the early mk2s or the shorter rear deck as per the late mk2. The late one is a simpler construction and is the same as the mk3, the early one is more re complex and also requires shorter front rear deck boards to be fitted.... The photo is of my mk3 and is the later type of cross bar....

Thanks Cook1e, great article by the way and helped me get my head around what's going on with the rear seat conversion. I have an early mk2 1969 with the long rear deck.