20 psi oil warning lights

Martins Stag

After finding that a T piece did not fit wel, I decided to rely solely on the poil pressure gauge I fitted.... with its very dim illumination.... and a warning light set at 20lbs would be on all the time at low rpm as mine has around 12-15lbs at hot idle.....   been like this for years.... not worried one bit.

Julian

Quoted from StagNL
After finding that a T piece did not fit wel, I decided to rely solely on the poil pressure gauge I fitted.... with its very dim illumination.... and a warning light set at 20lbs would be on all the time at low rpm as mine has around 12-15lbs at hot idle.....   been like this for years.... not worried one bit.

Julian

15psi on hot tickover is perfectly normal on a healthy Stag engine, Julian. A 20psi Switch would ensure the light came on every time the engine returned to tickover. The OE switch is set at 6psi ISTR. Triumph must have done that for a reason, their (and Ricardo’s) engineers weren’t entirely stupid.

Quoted from Martins Stag
DJT

Interesting that was in the back of my mind too... I assume Ricardo's assisted in the design of the engine ? Do you have any details?

Martin

Martin,

Ricardo designed the slant 4 on behalf of Triumph and SAAB. Triumph took it a stage further with the V8 as they wanted a family of engines with the same basic design to keep tooling costs down. I did read once that they intended to stretch the slant 4 into a slant 6, (or was it reduce the V8 to a V6? Can't remember now) but that never happened.

Quoted from DJT

15psi on hot tickover is perfectly normal on a healthy Stag engine, Julian. A 20psi Switch would ensure the light came on every time the engine returned to tickover. The OE switch is set at 6psi ISTR. Triumph must have done that for a reason, their (and Ricardo’s) engineers weren’t entirely stupid.

Well that's really cheered me up - I've spent hours looking at my oil pressure guage dropping to (nearly) 0 (on a 0-100 psi guage), cr***ing myself, and being re-assured by my great spanner man that "it's ok, you only need 8-10 psi at tickover" ... now it seems he was right. Should have trusted him..... I think!