White indicators....

heraldtom1985

Hi. This is gonna sound really daft but are the indicator and side lights on my Herald legal? Its 1964 and has different units to every Herald I've seen. The unit is much smaller and houses a twin filament bulb going thu the same clear lens. It wouldn't have bothered me but a bored copper tried to give me a telling off for them and practically every one else on the road doesn't understand that they are the indicators when I use them. It's even worse if the side lights are on!

Is this the Lucas L595 lamp? If so, it IS original and was used for a couple years on some late 948 and early 1200 Heralds. (A similar lamp, but with a single-filament bulb, was used on some E-Type Jaguars and on 1970 model Spitfires and GT6s as a backup lamp.)

There was also an amber lens for the L595, apparently for the German market. They are quite rare, at least judging by the number of them I've ever seen (1) and how much it cost me to procure it on eBay (lots of $$)! :o

yep mines fitted with them mines 1964 too, i spent ages looking for a replacement glass as mine had a crack, completly legal, i put the sidelights in with the main 7" lights so there not confusion then there just white front indicators, if you want you can put orange bulbs in them and sidelights in main unit.

heres mine.

If it happens again, tell the copper to go and re-read the construction and use regulations as he is unaware of the exclusions. The requirement for indicators to be coloured orange dates from (September?) 1965, earlier cars were also allowed red indicators to the rear.
The clear twin filament  indicators were fitted tohome market Heralds from mid 1961 to early 1965. The twin bulb units were used in parallel for other markets, and were standard for home market cars either side of those dates.
Cheers,
Bill.

I'm looking forward to the day a copper does me for something silly. Maybe I'll be reversing and have no lights on or something.

Fortunately most just seem to stare at the car when I go past. I had a group stop what they were doing yesterday and watch me drive past. Then I looked down and realised I was speeding. Oops. They gave me another good look when I went past 2 minutes later.

As has been said, your indicators are perfectly legal. Some moggie minors have the same system, unfortunately some police officers are unaware of the regulations but referral to the construction and use regs settles the matter.
I once had a bobby tell me the the trafficators on my old wolseley were illegal, his sergeant put him right. The young copper had stopped me for not wearing a seat belt, Which the old girl hasnt got! He was surprised that pre 1965 ( i think) cars dont need them.
Im not having a pop at the police, they are only human same as the rest of us.

Archived