Does anyone have a Dolomite 1500 starter.

John Bonnett

You are certainly correct that the Dolly 1500 needs the correct pre-engaged starter.  I remember finding that out the hard way many years ago after putting a Dolly 1500 engine in a Herald.  They seem to be more or less unique to the Dolly 1500 making them hard to find now.

If your engine is not yet installed you might wish to source a Spit 1500 flywheel instead (or even just swap the ring gear) as this may well turn out easier/cheaper and save you some aggro further down the line when they are even harder to find.

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
You are certainly correct that the Dolly 1500 needs the correct pre-engaged starter.  I remember finding that out the hard way many years ago after putting a Dolly 1500 engine in a Herald.  They seem to be more or less unique to the Dolly 1500 making them hard to find now.

If your engine is not yet installed you might wish to source a Spit 1500 flywheel instead (or even just swap the ring gear) as this may well turn out easier/cheaper and save you some aggro further down the line when they are even harder to find.

Cheers

Nick

Too late for that Nick. The flywheel has been lightened and balanced and the engine and box are in the car nearly ready to be started. With time really pressing I don't want to remove it and fit a new ring gear.

Excellent  :) Keep the spare one safe!

I seem to remember that the original Herald inertia starter would engage about once in 15 tries.  The noise was shocking......

I drove it to the scrapyard where I'd got the engine and retrieved the starter I'd removed when harvesting the engine.  It was fitted on the spot.

When I went back to a 1300 engine in search of more revs I kept the starter and it worked perfectly well with the 1300 flywheel, though it never sounded quite the same.  Apparently it shouldn't have worked as the ring gears have different numbers of teeth as well as being fitted the other way around......

Nick