Lord Sorbington

Any top tips for renewing a mk2 starter motor? - looks a bit awkward to get to.  I need to renew the steering linkage at the same time so removing that will improve access a bit.

Any hints appreciated!!  Access looked a lot easier when I had the carbs off a few months back but I'd prefer to leave them alone this time.

Ok, had a half arsed attempt at removing the starter but cannot get a spanner or anything on the nut on the bell housing side of the top mounting bolt.  Access to the lower fixing is no problem from under the car, electrical connections easy.

Do I need to cut down a spanner, or buy a little stubby one from somewhere? Or is there some other technique that my poor addled brain is missing?

Thanks Alan,

I suspect that the state of my engine mounts  ;) has probably left the bolt in a less than ideal position in relation to the bodywork.  Air filter box already removed!!

I think the socket from the gearbox end is looking like the best option so will get the car up on stands at some point in the near future and do this.

Oh, and my new original spec engine mounts are on the way, once those posties stop standing around next to braziers all day!

Pah, changing Triumph 2000 starters, a doddle!!

Looking at it afresh tonight, I worked out that what I thought was the bulkhead was actually squishy sound insulation and that I could JUST get the ring end of my spanner over the top nut if I passed the spanner behind a brake pipe and fed it through.

The small connections on the new starter are in a different place to those on the old one so I'll have to remake the orange and white cable as it is liable to fall off at the moment.  They are also unmarked,  so naturally I got them wrong to start with.

I also found an alloy spacer piece between the starter and engine plate so refitted this.

I was going to take some photos but I put my camera down somewhere and can't find it.  This also happened a number of times with my 1/2 spanner, 9/16 socket, ratchet drive, starter bolts etc etc.   Sometimes I don't know whether to swear or cry.  Senile at the age of 31.........

marc1estate wrote:

ALAN, do ya remember that night we had your gearbox out and back in again four times ?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh God yes. Bloody FREEZING cold trying to get the clutch working, after 4 attempts we discover the clutch fork pin sheared......not pleasant!

Having said that, not as bad as when we converted my PI from Auto to Manual. Remember? February, -2, and we're outside at midnight trying to line a gearbox up. (well, I was trying to get the box in, you were asleep under the car with a gearbox on your chest!)

The things we do........

(and to think, I was complaining about having to take the autobox out of the Stag 3 times in the heated carpeted garage........)

My arms are amongst the skinniest parts of me,  but still too fat to do that job comfortably!  

New starter seems good (a Fitchetts re-con job) and turns the engine over quite a bit faster than the old one so the car starts a lot better now too.  Just done the little wiring mod needed to extend the orange / white cable properly.

I suppose the faster starter could also be due to having remade the connections which must have been a bit old and grotty - all the interior lighting seems a bit brighter now too.  I meant to clean the terminals with contact cleaner, but the pixies had hidden it somewhere - a quick wipe on my T shirt was all they got!

Archived