Where's your starter motor?

haveyoubooked

Hey up, thanks for all your help on getting my gt6/spit ID'd heritage on to it now but looking at engine number believe it to be a very early mk1, will see what the certificate throws up (by the way if anyone with a MK1 has an engine number of earlier than KC4930 let me know!)

Anyway got the head, carbs, dizzy and other vitals on this weekend and burnt out its starter motor before the fuel had even got to the carbs! when i took it out the brushes were fine but the field coils were earthing out and the commutator was bridging out too...

So I ebayed for another last week, it arrived as a 2nd hand gt6 starter motor. cleaned it up, tested it, real bargain...went to fit it, wrong type. Different teeth and different mounting holes. So what is a GT6 MK1 SUPPOSED to have. As it was we cable tied it in the hole (sorry!) as it had been a long weekend rebuilding and it turned over fine, and struck up, settling down to that beautiful smooth tickover with a couple of minor adjustments...

So anyone know how many teeth it should have, and why there are 2 different sets of hole centres? mines the wider centres! also its just under carbs, on my dads spits the starters somewhere near the battery tray.

Actually they are not the same starters though they are interchangeable. Can'not remember the model no's but the Gt6 has access to the brushes from the side covered by a metal band, Spitfire brushes are accessed from the end of the starter.

Thanks for all your help again... sorry for these probably boring mundane questions but its my first gt6 and i bought in in lots of big cardboard boxes...so there might be a few more.

So 9 teeth and as long as it fits the hole i'm ok? Anyone got a spare they want some cash for?

rory

4474 wrote:
Thanks for all your help again... sorry for these probably boring mundane questions but its my first gt6 and i bought in in lots of big cardboard boxes...so there might be a few more.

So 9 teeth and as long as it fits the hole i'm ok? Anyone got a spare they want some cash for?

rory

PM sent

Archived