Starter motor spacer- Spitfire

timraven

What is the size of the spacer used on a 1500 engine? I have one on at the moment which is the same as the spacer on my 1300 Herald, I'm thinking they should be different? My motor has always been "clattery" and can be a pain to start due only to the motor not engaging properly first time (or first 3!).

I ask because I showed a mate how to sort a problem with his today, and his spacer is much smaller than mine (albeit with a load of thin shims as well), with the same 1500 engine. Mine is from a Midget (FP) but should have the same flywheel surely?

Cheers
Tim

No problem, am sure i dont have one on mine, just checked on rimmer bros website though and it does show one, either mine is missing or i really should pay more attention when rebuilding my car :D will have to get the bonnet up in the morning and have a nose :)

rich

right, just been out to the car, couldnt wait till 2moro, have also been looking at replacement parts and it looks like i do have a spacer, but it  is corroded to the main starter body so looks like one piece :) as a rough guide i would say it is about 8-10mm wide, i can get a better measurement in the morning when its light enough to find my vernier and measure it for you.

rich

One thing i remember from my old mini, similar starter motor, was that when it had a problem similar to what you describe, i found by spraying liberal WD40 on the shaft that the gear slides up and down, it made a difference and help engage properly, if i took it off the gear was quite slow at moving my end and did not spin back to the start position very quickly, lots of WD after a clean up worked, not brilliant solution and i had to keep doing it every few months but kept it working until i sold it  ;D

are the teeth on the gear in good condition or have they wore down too far?

rich

timraven,
The best lubricant for the starter drive screw thread is graphite. It won't accumulate dust as a wet lube will.
                                                                          Cheers,
                                                                          Paul

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have been trying to rectify a problem with my starter and when I took it off I did not notice a spacer.
How big should it be and is it on the top or bottom fixing or should both have one? Mine is a 1500 spitfire any pointers would be appreciated.