Starter Motor died

Camo

Starter Motor failed me this morning at 6.25 am. was about to set off onto the A3 then M25 for my 18 mile trip to work with the roof down as I have done all this week  8) when all I got was a click, I thought at first my trip out last night with all my lights on radio and heater (yes heater, roof was down and I was still in shorts and t shirt, I really must plan ahead better, or possibly consider putting the roof up ... nah forget the roof up bit, not gonna happen ! anyway...) so I thought maybe the battery was flat, kinda hoped it wasn't as that would have ment a more serious problem with my dynamo/battery circuit. sure enough after leaving on charge all day, same click, and some smoke rising from the starter for good measure, I rocked the car, hit the starter with a hammer and even read the manual and put a spanner on the end and made sure it was free before removing it. now I am waiting for the weekend to get an exchange from Wins in East Grinstead, no more roof down fun for me 'till then  :-/

I checked all the things listed in the manual. clicking solonoid - yet a fully charged battery, then the smoke rising from inside the motor ! I think it just may be knackered.....
Stuart

OK take it off the car, stick it on teh floor and whack 12v through it - see what happens. Disconnect and the then turn the pinion, re-apply 12v - anything? If it's dead then suspect the carbon brushes in the motor - a wearing part and cheap to replace once you have found them. However, starters aren't expensive on a recon exchage basis and as they are pretty common you may be able to get one from your local factors

you can still buy these inertia starters from motor factors. don't be put off by the moss price of £115.00, you can pick up them up a lot cheaper than that. i just bought one from a local factor (who is dear!) and it cost me nearly £22.00 !!!

Oh My God ! I got a recon exchange from Wins today, £35 with no silly postage prices, fitted it, perfect, then I noticed a fluid on the floor, the clutch slave has failed and emptied all down the gearbox ! amazing there was no sign that the clutch and starter were about to fail, I tucked her into the garage on Wednesday night, Thursday morning it had all gone wrong, so off to Wins again tomorrow if MOSS don't stock them, annoying as its about 90 minute round trip, and I was there today  :-/

Stuart

Job done now thanks, I assume it was the original slave and replaced rather than rebuilt, I should have replaced anything with rubber to be honest, but it was a case of if it was working... leave it alone
I did replace all the brakes though, but money has now run out, its only cosmetics and bodywork now, although the carb could use a rebuild, see how that one goes over next few weeks.

Stuart

Archived