starter motor question

ferny

I know the Isuzu 2.3/2.6 (S2036) starter fits easily to a 4-pot but I was wondering if anyone knows about the other ones? They all seem to have nine teeth and the only difference (without seeing the unit and measuring it) appears to be the power rating.

Not an easy answer - they don't all work

Watch out for those that rotate the wrong way - Subaru and some fitted to rover/mg for example (ask me how I know  :-/)

I think Toyota are a safe bet .... but even then some are physically bigger so the usual conversion kits won't fit.

I think the one I finally had success with for my saloon was from a Corolla - but will be interesting to hear what others have used .

Mark

I was looking through old threads and you said you used a 2.3lt starter motor and a saloon spacer. There's only one seller with that on eBay at the moment (yes, other sources available) but was wondering how different the other models were. Not easy to tell unless you find someone who has already done it or you've got one of each in front of you! The Isuzu seems the easiest route...

ferny wrote:
I was looking through old threads and you said you used a 2.3lt starter motor and a saloon spacer. There's only one seller with that on eBay at the moment (yes, other sources available) but was wondering how different the other models were. Not easy to tell unless you find someone who has already done it or you've got one of each in front of you! The Isuzu seems the easiest route...

Yes - the 2.3 motor is easiest for a 4 cylinder Triumph because it means you don't need the conversion kit  - photo below is of mine with the two Triumph spacers beside it.

I'd agree that you would need to compare any of the others by having them in front of you -  based on a quick look at what is available on Ebay I'd say not many of them are candidates - but these don't look too dissimilar (and cheaper than the one you found!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-STARTER-MOTOR-FROM-1984-1991-/330580432148?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf8211514

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISUZU-CAMPO-KB-STARTER-MOTOR-FROM-1983-1990-/220803411475?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3368e8ae13

Mark

MarkDeTriomphe wrote:
Watch out for those that rotate the wrong way - Subaru and some fitted to rover/mg for example (ask me how I know  )

Generally if the starter is one the engine side of the flywheel/starter ring it rotates the right way, on the gearbox side the starter goes the other way ( generally! ) But if you're a 1300/1500 FWD owner like me, you'll want one that goes the other way ;)

Gordon