Spit 1500 Leaf Spring

SteveSpit

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help me. I need to change the leaf on my spit as it's worn and the canmber on the rear drivers wheel is way out, had a look underneath today and it looks like the diff has to be removed in order to do it. Or can the bolts be accessed vie the diff inspection plate inside the car?

Any help greatly sppreciated.

Diff doesn't need to be removed Steve - the 4 studs which clamp the spring to the top of the diff can be removed using a lock nut which then allows the spring to slide out sideways.

Worth a try - remove the cover above the diff (just below petrol tank behind seats and check how tight the nuts are which are clamping the spring to the diff.  I discovered that some of the nuts on mine were not fully tightened (having owned car for 6 years).  Tightening em up correctly improved the camber AND hugely improved the handling.  

Chances are this isn't your problem but its a free check.

Good luck!

Doug_P wrote:
Diff doesn't need to be removed Steve - the 4 studs which clamp the spring to the top of the diff can be removed using a lock nut which then allows the spring to slide out sideways.

Worth a try - remove the cover above the diff (just below petrol tank behind seats and check how tight the nuts are which are clamping the spring to the diff.  I discovered that some of the nuts on mine were not fully tightened (having owned car for 6 years).  Tightening em up correctly improved the camber AND hugely improved the handling.  

Chances are this isn't your problem but its a free check.

Good luck!

thanks for that will have a look tommorrow when I get home from work, would be nice if it were somthing as simple as that. Shame it isn't the case with my annoying miss fire!

well, tightened up the bearing which was very loose, could move it with fingers no problem and the dfference it really suprising. Feels firmer on the road and doesn't pull to the left when braking anmore either.

Cheers for your help on that one guys.

The rear drivers side of my Spit used to sag also, fitted new springs still sagged.  Turned out the rear trunnions were stiff, especially on the drivers side.  The seal kits only cost about £5 each side but the longer you leave them the more difficult they are to do.  Try these checks if it still looks like the camber's out:

Jack the car up and put it back down, roll the car back and forth to settle it.  Does the camber look better?  If yes, does it sag again when you've sat in it?

Take the back wheels off, unbolt the leaf spring behind the hub, rock the hub holding it at the top and bottom.  Is the drivers side stiffer?

These were the symptoms for mine and fitting new seals and pivot bolts cured it.

Steve, just read my post and thought I'd better correct a couple of things (although you'll probably work them out for yourself).
You'll also have to unbolt the trailing arms (and any thing else I've forgotten apart from the driveshaft).
When I said rock the hub, I meant the vertical link.
Hope you get it sorted without to much heartache (if it is the rear trunnions put plenty of money in the swear box in advance, the bolts can be a bu@*er to get out if they've been left to long  ;D)

Archived