leaf spring buttons

Davemate

can someone please explain how/where to fit the buttons
in the pic below it looks like they locate under the top spring in a recess coverd by the clamp,is that the same on the other place near the spring eye, as the pic states you need 4 pads.
do you just push them in ?

Eh?
If I have got the gist of what your on about, the rubber buttons sit under the blobs at the end of the leaf of which you can see two on the picture.
Just above the (2) of C8939(2).

I've no idea if you push them in or if the just sit there, I haven't started putting my spring back together as superwife it trying to keep me busy :(

You'll need 3 or 4 per side depending on the type of spring.

I've changed them on my spring, the originals were worn to the bone.
You might be able to get the worn ones out on the car, but installing the new ones in situ is nigh on impossible.
I suggest you take the spring out, and dismantle it.
Mark the spring leaves beforehand so it goes back together correctly.
To get the clamps back on get someone to stand on the spring.

I changed the buttons on my swing spring without dissmantling it, just used a big screw driver to pry the leaves apart, pushed out the old ones & popped in the new. I'm using home made nylon buttons, the first ones were a bit too thick so I swapped them for thinner. Ø18 x 5mm thick fits well on my spring.

In your diagram its a and b, total of 8 on a swing spring.

Well done Charles, I had a look, and thought about 15/16mm for the buttons.

You say you used nylon, would PTFE be any better/worse, and seen some PTFE with a glass filler to increase hardness. Thought it may be a plan...

cliftyhanger wrote:
You say you used nylon, would PTFE be any better/worse...

No idea, but you can buy nylon rod in Ø18mm  :)

The first lot I made on a mate's lathe, very nice. For the second lot I thought I'd try just using a saw & after a few attempts I managed to make 8 flat ones!

Hi Clive. After finding this Dutch button page I had some made in PTFE by a friend with a lathe. Only when he brought them back did he say "should have been made out of nylon - better wear properties. Later, GT6Mk3 commented (in another forum) that he had consulted a materials scientist friend who had said the same thing. Nylon - or polyamide - is available with various fillers which improve the friction and wear characteristics. I know this because I briefly looked at having some more made - but then got diverted and forgot the details.

I sometimes have business dealings with a company called Ensinger - you might find this page on Polyamide modifications interesting. Pick your filler!

Richard

3314 wrote:
- but then got diverted and forgot the details.

Richard

Story of my life ;D ;D so glad I am not the only one.

I did see some rods with fillers in on the bay, I thought it was ptfe but could have been nylon.
Sadly the school lathe is pants and the chuck will not centre (needs a new chuck, lathe doesn't get used by the kids so it just wastes space) however the band saw is pretty handy, reckon I could cut some rod up with that pretty accurately :)

And thank you for the info, very handy. Now off to ebay, after a cuppa and a biscuit :)

Archived