Can a leaf spring be dismantled?

Steve Cureton

No its just that simple  ask Zebadee....  if there is some tension with the centre bolt a G clamp will soon pull it back together  
Im sure Ive seen the pontyfract cake rubber slipper pads on a site somewhere
if they are worn badly.
springs should be dry and not liberaly greased, the dust sticks to the grease and makes a good grinding paste   Peter

If you are going to that trouble, wrap the re-assembled spring in Denso tape.
This is revolting stuff, a thick fabric tape more than impregnated with,  made stiff with a thick, greasy, sticky mess.  But it will keep dirt out of your spring like nothing else will!   And lubricate it.

No need for me to boost it - just google for Denso tape!

JOhn

if you do take the spring apart, take the bolts out of the clips first, and then the centre bolt but do make sure it is tightly clamped when undoing it,as the tension on the spring we strip the thread of the nut when it gets to near the end.
and yes denso tape is good or use leather packed with grease
cheers andy

Right, I've stripped the spring and I now know what a Pontefract cake looks like :-)

The spring is actually in very good condition, and so are the Pontefract cake rubbers, and there is grease between all the leaves so I assume it's been stripped before.

The only problem I've got is I stripped it down without paying too much attention to the position of each leaf, but when I've cleaned up the short top leaf the word 'front' is stamped on it. Does this mean all the leaves have to face a certain way and if so how do I tell which way they should face - they all look the same to me. None of the others have this stamping.

Archived