14" Wheels Rubbing

Joner

I've just bought and fitted a set of 14" Alloys with a width of 5.5 on the back of my 1969 MK2 2 litre Vitesse.  The old standard ones where 13" by 5.  The offside one is rubbing when I corner and jams when I reverse.  I would think that when I put a passenger in the nearside one will do the same.

It seems there is very little clearance between the wheel arch and the wheel probably 5mm.  I can't see any signs of fouling but I'm not happy with the clearance.  I'm thinking of grinding off the lip from the inner wheel arch which would probably give me a more respectable 10mm.  I'm not going to do this until I've had a proper look at it but what I want to know before I start is;  Am I wasting my time?  Is it possible to fit 14" by 5.5 wheels to my car?

I've got the Rotoflex suspension with original dampers on mine.  I've been thinking of converting to rear shocks.  Will this raise the suspension slightly and help with the wheels?

Thanks for the response. Not sure what the offset is.  I'll take them off later, measure it and get back to you. I'm not sure if it is fouling the rim.  I can't see any signs of rubbing on the tyre or rim. Its just that its a very small gap and I'm not happy with it.

Thanks for the response. Not sure what the offset is.  I'll take them off later, measure it and get back to you. I'm not sure if it is fouling the rim.  I can't see any signs of rubbing on the tyre or rim. Its just that its a very small gap and I'm not happy with it.

You don't say what size tyres and the wheel offset is also very important.

The wheel width on its own is not the issue, I have 6" on mine (ET13, 175/70 tyres) with no issues though they are quite close to the arch lip.

One issue that can occur with the rotor rear is contact between the inside of the rim and the lower trunnion ends.  This with 13" wheels though, 14" should be roomier.

Also check clearance between the radius arm and inside wall of the tyre.

Nick

Thanks for the diagram.  I'll measure the offset when I get home but given that it's rubbing on the rim I don't think I'll be able to do anything about it hence my plan to 'trim' the inside of the rim.

Not sure about the brass rubbing.  If when I get the wheel of an I can see where it's rubbed and it looks like the pope I'll definitely post it here first.

Quoted from Nick Jones
You don't say what size tyres and the wheel offset is also very important.

The wheel width on its own is not the issue, I have 6" on mine (ET13, 175/70 tyres) with no issues though they are quite close to the arch lip.

One issue that can occur with the rotor rear is contact between the inside of the rim and the lower trunnion ends.  This with 13" wheels though, 14" should be roomier.

Also check clearance between the radius arm and inside wall of the tyre.

Nick

I've just checked the clearance between the radius arm and the inside wall and there's plenty of room there.  I'm pretty sure the offset is wrong but I'll measure up and post when I get home.

Thanks Stu, this is pretty well the solution.  So, to conclude,  the offset of these wheels wasn't a problem.  The wheel was catching on a piece of weld protruding from a badly repaired bump stop mounting.  Additionally the wheels were catching on the wheel arch lips that on close inspection comprised largely of pud.  I cut them back by about 6mm, ground down the weld on the bump stop mount, put the 14" wheels on the front and the 13" ones on the back and now have a well and truly planted ride.  Looks awesome.  Handling has improved dramatically.  Doesn't sound like a knackered shopping trolley anymore.  Am a very happy chappy.  

Thanks everyone for their help as usual.  My car, which improves by the day, wouldn't be half the car it is without this forum  and the expertise within it .  I will of course, buy you all a drink unless I never see you or I forget.