Sprint wheels on an 1850 Auto

sally

They fit straight on, but you must NOT under any circumstance use the existing 1850 wheel nuts. sprint nuts have a shoulder that critically locate the wheel.

The sprint has two different sizes of wheel stud, 3/8" and 7/16", early and late respectively whereas the 1850 has only one size; 3/8". You therefore need to source not only the wheels but a set of early nuts aswell. Other than this there is no problem.

NB: Sprint wheels have 175/70 x 13 tyres as standard though 185/60 will fit well enough; these are both larger than your existing 1850 tyres.

Want a set of Sprint wheels then?

If I knew whether they's fit I'd put Sprint wheels on Baby Blue (she's already got Sprint seats!)

There's plenty of 1850's with Sprint wheels. Steve Waldenberg (the TDC Chairman) has a nice white 1850 auto with Sprint wheels. It looks like a Sprint until you look at the boot badges.

like alun (dolomite man) says, they'll fit straight on but you'll need the wheel nuts to suit, I think you can get then in ally or steel, available from rimmers amongst other places.  Im in derby and have a spare set of nuts for 7/16 studs but theyre looking a bit tired now, and not much good to you unless you're planning on changing all the studs too.

the wheels also go on a toledo, tried and tested, all the same issues with nuts and tyres apply.

Alun if it helps i could do a "Kevs Karriers" from stoneleigh to derby.  I also have calls for work around Hyde, Stockport etc from time to time so could help save the journey?

Go on then Kevin, give my identity away...

I have several sets of wheels, some with tyres, some without. Those with tyres will need new tyres now due to the time they have been off the cars. Three of the tyre off  wheels have been recently polished. I have a set of four good part worn Firestone tyres off the wheels, size 175/70/13. I have centre caps. Sadly, I cannot let you have my nuts.

Everything is a little way down the M6 from Wilmslow at the moment, but I will need to go visit soon. Drop me a PM if you want to take this further...

[quote by=Toledo_Man link=Blah.pl?b=dol,m=1136651333,s=7 date=1136690425]If I knew whether they's fit I'd put Sprint wheels on Baby Blue (she's already got Sprint seats!)
[/quote]

That's a fwd isn't it? In which case, take a look at the wheels fitted. Then take a look at the wheels on the Toledo.

You should spot the difference.

Now, whether you'll just have rubber sticking out from under the arches, or a more serious problem I don't know, but I very much doubt Sprint wheel swill be a simple bolt on and job done...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, fitted Sprint alloys to my Dolly 1500 & then on 1850. Word of warning re using the alloy wheel nuts, CHECK THEY ARE TIGHT REGULARLY, like once a week and before/after a long run. Not nice to find your wheel wheel is hanging on by one nut (almost off), two missing and a stud stapped off altogether.

Re the tyres, more tread equeals more strain on the studs so after my experience with the wheel I've always used 165's. Seriously thinking of going to 7/16" studs.

7/16 studs should be a bit stronger agreed, but i had sprint wheels on 1500 se with alloy nuts, suspension was so low the rims were level with the arches, i was on 185's and chucked it around like a hooligan, not once did i lose any nuts or break any studs (ok, they were 7/16), but I did manage to break a half shaft and the 4 bolts that go through the back plate... wheel nuts still all there, and tight, just not attached to car any more!

wider tread = more grip, better handling? lots of sideways, wheelspin, boy racer-ing and/or more weight in the car = more strain on the studs

tyre widths are all crap anyway, my mate is a mobile tyre fitter and we've seen 175's that are wider than 185's

do the nuts up tight enough in the first place?  interestingly, another mate of mine, stag, just done repairs to car, drove couple miles down the road and the wheel fell off - how embarassing. he's in his 50's and generally very sensible, i call on him for advice and expertise now n again and he's rebuilt more classic cars than ive ever driven, but he still forgot to tighten them up... easily done mate.  DOH!

;D

Archived