Rotoflex chassis damper conversion

John Bonnett

I've got the TSSC Spax chassis mounted damper conversion on my car. Evidently these dampers are made specially for the application by Spax.  I fitted the leaf spring of unknown origin which came with the donor car and it is saggy, more so on the passenger side than the driver's side but low on both sides. Shining a light at the top of the Gaz dampers you can actually see through the plastic covers and this shows how much or little movement there is left and also the fact that there are no bump stops visible. So, the metal to metal bang each time the car goes over a bit of damaged road surface is almost certainly coming from the shock absorber. The replacement spring should help the situation but without a bump stop it will always produce a jarring bang each time the suspension bottoms, I find it surprising that no internal bump stop is fitted but that does appear to be the case.

Should have an internal bump-stop.  There is no other provision.

Might be inclined to ring Gaz and ask them?

You could possibly add one - the Konis (for the front) that I have a fairly chunky rubber "doughnut" that sits up under the shroud and these have a lonitudinal split in them to allow them to be removed.  They are split as they have to be removable to allow the damper to be adjusted.  The caveats are that the Konis have a robust metal shroud that supports the rubber in spite of the split and the damper obviously needs a sufficiently large and robust top-plate for the rubber to come up against.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
Should have an internal bump-stop.  There is no other provision.

Might be inclined to ring Gaz and ask them?

You could possibly add one - the Konis (for the front) that I have a fairly chunky rubber "doughnut" that sits up under the shroud and these have a lonitudinal split in them to allow them to be removed.  They are split as they have to be removable to allow the damper to be adjusted.  The caveats are that the Konis have a robust metal shroud that supports the rubber in spite of the split and the damper obviously needs a sufficiently large and robust top-plate for the rubber to come up against.

Nick

Thank you Nick. I checked the boxes that they came in and the definitely are right boxes and hopefully the right dampers inside. I too thought a call to Spax would be a good thing which I'll do in the morning.

John, OE Roto,s have a bump stop on the OE wing mounting ,
underneath facing doon wards,   it contacts wid the spring eye loop.

Butt, for the car to be bottoming on the shocker, then its either got tobe a v v weak spring,
or ye got wrang shockers.

M

Quoted from GT6 M
John, OE Roto,s have a bump stop on the OE wing mounting ,
underneath facing doon wards,   it contacts wid the spring eye loop.

Butt, for the car to be bottoming on the shocker, then its either got tobe a v v weak spring,
or ye got wrang shockers.

M

It's the chassis mounting conversion Marcus. No bump stops.

Quoted from GT6 M
yes I no that, BUTT, there should still be the bump stops on the oe mount bit.

M

Ah but the complete inner wing mount has gone including the pump stop as I was under the impression that it was no longer needed. It does appear that the absence of an internal bump stop in the damper indicates that I could have been a bit impetuous in losing it. 🙁

Ah, had forgotten that the roto GT6 had the bump stop on the inner wing..... so possibly no bump stop in the damper as a consequence.

Possibly another issue as well.  Though you seem to say that you have bought the dampers as part of the conversion kit, I wonder what you actually have.  The standard roto damper will be too long for the extended chassis brackets and be prone to early bottoming out.  The chassis extension brackets should be used with the swing axle dampers, which are not quite the ideal length either but do seem to work ok.  They will also have internal bump stop.

Nick

I think the "special" dampers are mini sized? but with triumph sized bushes. But shorter than normal spit etc shocks. All very complicated!

I suspect fitting bumpstops from another shock would be the solution, even after the new spring is installed.

The Koni dampers that are for the front of a Classic Mini are part number 80-1717 with a open length of 296mm and a closed length of 218mm which are supposed to be the correct open/closed lengths when using the Rotoflex chassis brackets?

There is a thread on the Herald/Vitesse section, if you do a search under Koni?

I fitted them to my Vitesse and never had any bottoming out even with 4 adults in the car, there are mods needed to the bushing though

I'd check the open and closed lengths eye to eye of your shocks?

I have the bracket conversion on my car, bought from Moss/Triumphtune a few years back and I opted for Konis as there was a choice of Konis or Spax. I made that choise having heard so many stories from other memebers about Spaxs and how they dont last but only good things about Konis, it was more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Anyway, the Konis supplied by Moss with the Kit certainly have the internal bumpstops.

I also no longer have the original brackets, The inner arches needed lots of work where they had stress fractured due to Triumph's crazy idea of mounting the shocks on a wheelarch and I had the bracketrs removed as part of the repair as they are just a rust trap.

I'll be putting a call in to Spax today but it looks like we have consensus. Whoever specified the special Spax dampers expected the inner wing mounted bump stops to remain on the car and were therefore omitted as an internal fitting on the damper itself. Konis would be a better solution but there may be some difficulty in sourcing them. Even with a new spring fitted a bump stop is essential because there will always be occasions when the suspension fully compresses to the bump stop.