About crankshaft dampers

JohnD

All Triumph sixes are fitted with a crankshaft damper, in the form of the crank pulley that drives the water pump and alternator.  These viscous dampers are, more than a little, mysterious and off-putting.   The Online magazine RET (Race Engine Technology) Monitor has published a couple of short articles recently.   You might find them of interest.

https://www.highpowermedia.com/RET-Monitor/3850/damping-vibration
And
https://www.highpowermedia.com/blog/3870/more%20on%20dampers

John

Alec, Anyone who bolts the trigger wheel to the outer part deserves everthing they get.
But to be honest, I don't think that the displacement will be more than fractions of a degree, so they won't get much, will they?

Glad you found it of interest!
John

JohnD wrote:
But to be honest, I don't think that the displacement will be more than fractions of a degree, so they won't get much, will they?

Not so good when the bonding fails and the outer part moves 90+ degrees. It happened on our old 2000 and again with my current Mk2 Golf GTi.
From two instances in the small sample I've owned, I'd always assumed it was a common problem,

Cheers,
Bill

Failure is failure, that's not what I meant!

I was writing as I assumed Alec was writing, about the movement of the outer part as it damped out vibrations.

So the Kastner trick might be worthwhile today!  Timing seems wrong - check hole in damper ring.
John