Spitfire crank nut torque

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

I've got a Spit 1500 in the workshop for finishing off as the owner is now spending most of his time in Germany. When setting the valve clearances on the engine I found with my 8" long spanner I could turn the crank nut. I think therefore, it ain't tight! What's the torque setting for it? Needs a 1-13/16" socket I think, looks like a 1" thread, maybe a Whitworth one or something?

In my Dolomite 1500 manual it says 150lf-ft, is that the same for Spitfire?

Cheers John, always best to double check these things.

Dave, I'll have to double check what mine go up to. I know my little one does 110lb-ft, think my bigger one will go to 250, but I'll check and let you know. I need to have a word with you about your Herald actually, I'll pop over tomorrow afternoon, I'm about to go to a mates stag do.

On the contrary, Dave!

110kgs = 242lbs

If 150lbs at 1 foot = 150ft-lbs

Then 150ft-lbs = 242lbs at (1 x 150)/242 = 0.62ft or 7.4 inches.

It's not quantum chromodynaamics, or even algebra!   It's arithmetic!
If you can work out the price of four tyres when you know the price of one, you can do this calculation.
John

Quoted from JohnD
On the contrary, Dave!

110kgs = 242lbs

If 150lbs at 1 foot = 150ft-lbs

Then 150ft-lbs = 242lbs at (1 x 150)/242 = 0.62ft or 7.4 inches.

It's not quantum chromodynaamics, or even algebra!   It's arithmetic!
If you can work out the price of four tyres when you know the price of one, you can do this calculation.
John

Fair enough, John, but I still prefer to use a torque wrench... Cheers, Dave 🙂

Torqued up last night with my torque wrench and a chuffing great socket. I removed the started motor and used a pry-bar on the ring rear to lock it whilst my other hand gave a good tugging. The nut needed nearly a full revolution to bring to torque, so it must have been pretty damn loose.

As is often the way though, doing one job revealed another issue... or two...

Waterpump gland seal failed, cooling fan held on with two out of four bolts, every single stud and bolt on the engine to bellhouse face has the fasteners in the following order; nut, plain washer, spring washer... ideal. Also the engine backplate is bent. I wonder what else I'll find...