Decking the block on a recessed block PI engine

juppy

I am rebuilding an engine to put in my wife's MK2 PI, the engine I have stripped is a later recessed block type. My question is, if I get the block decked when i have all the other machining done at Osselli in Witney, do the recesses need re machining to get the depth the same for the gasket?

I intend to do the following to the engine.
Rebore
flywheel lightened
balancing of all rotating components
T5 ? cam from Tony Linsey Dean
blue printed oil pump from Chris Witor
New original Triumph rockers
New rocker shaft
T L D 's cam followers and springs.
Stellite faced and tipped exhaust valves again from T L D
Waisted inlet valves
3 angle seats on all valves
bronze guides from Chris Wittor
Mild porting and chamber balancing of the head.

Obviously I will be getting the metering unit replaced with one set up to the mods.

Does anyone have any suggestions ideas what else I should do?

I theory yes... or do as I did and machine the block until no recess exists ... trial assemble the pistons and then machine the pistons so they are flush with the block... then use a early non recess gasket.

You will find you need to remove very little from the pistons  ;)

If any of the recesses remain after you've worked out how much you want
removing, you have no choice but to reinstate them. If they disappear
then you have the choice of using an earlier gasket.
Of course a ten minute drive from Witney gets you to unequalled machining
at F J Paynes of Eynsham who could also sort you out with cam bearings.
I bet TLD recommends his R2 or R3 profile.

[quote by=juppy link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1155293944,s=0 date=1155293944]I am rebuilding an engine to put in my wife's MK2 PI

Does anyone have any suggestions ideas what else I should do?

[/quote]

I would not bother with TLD cams etc... nothing personnel... I would advise a "standard cam" such as TR5 early TR6 with good roller rockers to give the extra bit of lift this cam needs. With a good 6-3-1 exhaust this combination will give a torquey 160bhp  plenty for a PI saloon. Then you can use an off the shelf Metering Unit.

• 1 month later...

I love the  "I would not bother with TLD cams etc... nothing personnel".....

Me too nothing personal, but it's just stuff sold by another famous Triumph detuner.....
You're better to buy stuff that works, - and the old original Triumph stuff works well, if a little heavy on fuel!

And YES, nice cam in the TR5, hadn't thought of changing the rocker ratio, but I guess it could make it even more thirsty too......ALL that overlap....Imagine!!
Also as you are probably using one of my exhausts you will need to up the max fuel delivery figures as it will run really lean otherwise with no power

Let me know

GT

I used a TR5 cam decked block etc triple webers and recorded 148bhp very driveable and not as thirsty as you would expect about 28mpg
I used Chris Witor for all the tunning parts and was vey pleased

Tim B now has the head from that engine it will be intresting what difference it makes to his 2500 when if he ever gets round to fitting it!  :D

Archived