aar0sc

That gasket has the tab on the back indicating that it is for a recessed block.  Your Spit is very likely to have this (engine number suggest Dolomite origins but no matter).  The tab on the existing gasket should be visible if present and will confirm it.

Nick

Aaron, the recess spoken about is in the block , just a small counter bore in the block face around the periphery  of  bore, this design is supposed to help support the gasket  fire rings .
so if present you have the tabbed gasket at the rear end

suggest you check all the head nuts and washers for any deformation, as this soon looses torque as the washers collapse and you get
blow by across the head faces as the gasket is not clamped adequately.

Pete

Thanks Pete, they all look normal!

I found an old-school engine shop, who skimmed the slightly bowed head for me:

Nice and shiny now!

Lapped the valves in, had a lovely time doing it under the watchful eye of my mate James, and it all went swimmingly until we found a crack in the exhaust port of the 4th (Rearmost) cylinder... :( Decided that we may as well go on with it, as it'll still be far better than how it was, but I will speed up my planned replacement engine (Whose valves are now in this head, as quite a few of the 1300's valves were cracked).

think about ...........nows the time to add some exhaust inserts ,  

as for lapping valves in I use a good squirt of oil on the stem,. a good dollop of paste on the seating and connect the battery drill to the stem and open /shut/ fwd /reverse the operation .till a nice dull seating  .

but a cracked seat will not last long

Pete

Sorry we didnt have too much chat time, but its reassuring to see younger drivers engaged in the classic scene especially when the insurance schemes have made it hopeless to get reasonable insurance  costs due to idots and go faster old,moderns contaminating the
the claim statistics for 'proper classic'  keep it up youll soon have the Spitty back on the road

Pete