my newish uprated engine??

sahtuning2000

well,after a days work,the engine is starting to look like an engine again!fitted today
spin on conversion
new uprated coil
rocker feed pipe(don,t like the way these fit)
oil switch
uprated oil pressure spring,housing
timing cover/seal/gasket/bolts
alloy water pump housing
water pump gaskets etc
alternator
plugs
loads of new nuts/bolts everything is brand new,so i,ve got the following to get/do!
DIZZY(WHATS BEST,IS STANDARD 2.5S,OR EARLY P.I?)
LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL/NEW CLUTCH
CLEAN OVERHAUL WEBERS/MANIFOLDS(NOT LOOKING FOWARD TO THIS!)
SORT OUT THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD
plus a few other things like the water pump return pipe/thermostat housing/engine mounts etc
then i will life it to remove sump for clean/uprated pump etc
the closer i look the more i agree with AJP,its an older engine without doubt,would be nice to find out a little more but proving hard,i took the timing chain sprocket off,but no marks etc,only the 2 holes for the bolts/a keyway,and three small punch holes(means anything)so,more bucks to be spent next week,prices do seem to vary,not to worried about that but just want to right parts!!

Dave and AJP,

Let me know if you go to a rolling road- I'll bring 'The Grey Thing'. Roger Baldwinson one of the West Kent big Saloon bunch recommends Redline Tuning near Iver- only down the road for us all- Also get Graham to bring the 'The Red Bus'?

Worked on 'The Grey Thing' yesterday fitted the drive shafts I got from AJP, also attempted to fit the new rear springs I got from Chris W- however mis matched- one was 410lb/in , the other 575lb/in- interesting handling. Actually no worries as it was getting bloody cold, tomorrow will start on front struts and brakes. BTW no criticism of Chris is meant- I e-mailed him today and got a reply stating that he will send a replacement spring pronto- top service again.
BTW the rear suspension what a nice bit of design, the fitting of the driveshafts could not be easier- you can even leave the brake linings in place! Driveshaft replacement on a GT6 is about 4 hours- if you have access to a hydrualic press- nightmare job!

tracked done an early p.i dizzy today,new,also got new dipstick,rest of water pump housing etc,MOSS actually still sell my exhaust manifold new(as said its a 6.2.1 though)what i also wanted to know is if any of the TR5/6 uprated parts are of use,manifold/flywheel/clutch,as this saves postage etc,i can take my parts along to compare,also sump,as MOSS stock most of these uprated parts,it would be nice if there was a 6.3.1 manifold from a tr6 that went on?also,my engine is an ex 2.5S lump,at the moment i have no front crank pulley,can i fit a non viscous one,if so what year model etc,and what fan???or what is best to fit on the crank,again TR6 any use?

You can fit a non-vicous front pully think they were the same?  there are all sorts of pullys that fit! there was a conversion sold that was a solid fan that bolted striaght onto the  viscous pully? I got mine from Wins and Co (very helpfull on the phone as we spent about ten minutes measuring mounting bolt centres)
(please note all the question marks!)
Any way I am running the Taxi just with an electric fan at the moment after the solid fan was destroyed by the Devon ford!(Knee high water) it acted as a propeller and sucked its self into the rad smashing the blades of it!
(as we hit the ford at speed it pulled the engine forward slightly on its mounts and pushed the rad back as there was only about1/2" clearance neither had to move much for contact!)

As a postscript to my message on the 29th, the replacement spring from Chris Witor arrived on New Year's Eve- quality service and I can drop the wrong one to his premises at Stoke Poges, one mile from where I work!

Its become startling obvious:
Big Saloon parts: Chris Witor
GT6 Parts: Canley Classics

despite the fact i may well have to part with this engine(ref other thread)i still spent another day on it today,i do need some more parts as i want to get it as good/complete as possible!!
i totally cleaned up/painted the 6.2.1 manifolds/y peice,used VHT high temp spray,they look really good,took my time,warmed everything up,now sitting in my airing cupboard!,was going to throw them away,but they look great now!it appears that i might of been sold a new tr6 timing cover,fits fine,everything lines up,except the original pulley!!it hits the timing arrow,now this front pulley is a pain,the engine came with no fan(electric ones on car)will a tr6 one fit?that way i can still use the timing cover,or are standard mk1/2 2000 pulleys smaller??mine is quite large with what looks like a rubber ring running through the middle,its 6.5 inches wide.any ideas?where can i get a new outlet from the water pump housing,the 90 degree hose attaches to it,tr6 don,t have one,chris witor does do them,are they on a vitesse?i,ve had a really good go at cleaning up the 3 inlet manifolds,they just won,t come up my standard,i,ve tried loads of products,look ok but not brilliant,is it a crime to spray them with top quality silver heatproof paint,or any last offers,my friend said to try a good acid wheel cleaner,bit worried about that!!!any ideas on the above would be great,the pulley is worrying me really!!

cleaning/overhauling the carbs is taking its time,tricky things to get cleaned,got a new connecting shaft cut today,got all new nuts/bolts but the idiot at the nut/bolt supplier has given me the wrong tread for the inlet studs which has given me the hump as i could of practically got the carbs all together today,also still waiting for the little jet covers/fuel hose etc that i ordered on wednesday and paid for next day delivery,still no sign,must also track down a 2 litre crank pulley(anyone got one?)

Archived