engine fan, or not?

Philip Blank

what's the general opinion 'out there' on whether a 2500/2700 should or should not have an engine driven cooling fan?  i've run my 2000 with electric fans only and am currently doing the same on the new (2680cc) engine in the car and while it's not actually overheating, it's not running quite as cool as the 2000, which is logical, as i guess the larger engine will produce more BTUs (or whatever one uses these days) for the same cooling capacity.  i know the fan sucks a bit of power, but frankly i'm wondering if it will make much difference on the larger engine, particularly as it won't be revved as high.  some of you, particularly anyone in, say, WA probably won't believe this, but the weather gets quite hot here on occasions.  i'm tempted to put a fixed fan back on.  am i mad?  would appreciate thoughts.  thanks, phil.

Over my time with the GT6, I have swapped around between mechanical and electrical fans- at pres. running a mech. fan. However when I find a fan small in depth I will go back to elec. However I think it is essential to ensure that air passing through the grille goes through the rad, i have done this on my GT6- it works, 5 degrees cooler.
About to try some coolant that is made by Toyota, a pal of mine has stuffed it into his Elan Sprint again 5 degrees cooler- think it is one of those water wetters + anti freeze and rust inhibitor- my mate works for Toyota and can get me some of this coolant very cheaply!

Phil- I presume that you are running a mechanical temp. gauge?

I just have a 15" electric fan up front and that copes fine with the hottest Perth days... it switches off as soon as I have been driving +30mph for more than a minute or 2 after heavy / congested traffic... I do not have  a front bumper so that may help through-flow

interesting stuff.  tim, i'm using an electric temp gauge, VDO, which have a reasonable rep for reliability.  original one started giving wierd readings.  this one seems fine.  the car is not actually overheating.

andy, i'm fascinated to hear you can get a 15" fan into the front of a mark I. how have you done that?  i've got a 12" in there and i wouldn't have thought i could get much more in.  i appreciate that a 15" fan will give humungously more cooling than a 12".  can you remember the make of the one you've fitted?  or did you have to bend or cut things?

thanks to both of you for the feedback.  rgds, phil.

Archived