V8 engine weight

volospian

So if the bare block is 170lbs, that leaves 276lbs for everything else.

Was that bare block without crank, pistons, etc.?

If so, I would imagine the crank weighing a tidy bit, the pistons a few pounds more, the heads adding to it and so on. It could be that the 446 figure is just the engine without the box and housing?

200kg exactly, that sounds about the right weight including flywheel and clutch and exhausts.

TR6 engine (late is about 185 I believe), so it does look about right.

U won't find any modern V8 that weighs as much as that, the Stag engine is pretty heavy, so no wonder they understeer!

FYI a Jaguar V12 weighs about 280kg, & it's suprisingly not that much more.

Any attempt to run a DOHC V8 (V8-32) will cause you problems in a Stag because there's no room, especially above the engine, hence why they always fitted 'orrible pushrod designs like the Ford V6 or Rover/Buick prehistoric blocks.

(It's why I want to fit a SOHC 2.7L all alloy Honda V6-24)

I'm going on this information from this site (http://www.chevroletls1.com/chevrolet_ls1_6_info.html):

Quote:
The Corvette LS1 engine measures approximately 25.25" long (Rover V8 is 27.5"), LS1 overall height is 24-25" (Rover V8 is 25.5" plus the carb and air filter or efi plenum, 29-30" or more), LS1 width across the cylinder heads is 20.5" (Rover V8 is 20"). With the T56 6 speed gearbox fitted the LS1 is some 3" shorter than a Rover V8 with a standard 5 speed gearbox.

and as the Rover is a popular swap, I think the LS1 should fit.

Apparently the weight of an LS1 is Total Dressed Engine Weight Auto. - 457.6 lbs. (208 kg); Manual - 497.2 lbs (226 kg) so that looks a similar weight too.

Not with a BMW diff conversion, should be able to handle 350hp easily ;)

Yes, it's a push rod, but OHC isn't that high on my list of priorities. Size, weight and power are the main check boxes and if you're getting into "Stags should have..." territory, then Stags should have Stag engines, and nothing else.

A Ferarri engine, yeah, because I see so many of those for sale!

[quote by=volospian link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1167676068,s=5 date=1167729693]Was that bare block without crank, pistons, etc.?
[/quote]

Yes.

Engine, gearbox & diff change, may as well go for grafting the upper bodywork onto a modern floorpan to get the benefits of better suspension and brakes as well.

[quote by=bobble350 link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1167676068,s=12 date=1167775365]
Engine, gearbox & diff change, may as well go for grafting the upper bodywork onto a modern floorpan to get the benefits of better suspension and brakes as well.[/quote]

lol, I think that's a bit extreme!

There's plenty of pieces around to improve suspension and brakes. Have a look at http://www.monarch-stags.co.uk/index.html

Alloy hubs, brakes and struts on the front and a BMW transplant on the rear, with strut braces and so on will be good enough for what I want.

I want my Stag to be an enjoyable road going GT cruiser that just happens to have plenty of grunt when it needs it. I'm not after a trackday car. If I was I'd buy a Lotus.

Archived